The Los Angeles Times says CBS News executives are "preparing yet another rebuttal" to the barrage of new charges, which is expected to be released today. The New York Times reports "CBS said Tuesday that they continued to stand by their statements that they believe the documents are authentic, despite the new questions, and concern from others inside the network." According to the Washington Times, some critics are now calling for Dan Rather's "resignation, a boycott of CBS and a federal investigation just a week after Mr. Rather stepped before '60 Minutes II' cameras, claiming he had damaging memos that proved President Bush shirked his National Guard duty three decades ago."
CBS Says First Lady Offered No Evidence Its Reporting Was Wrong.
CBS Evening News last night noted Bush "has yet to weigh in on new documents about his National Guard record made public last week by '60 Minutes.' But in a radio interview, First Lady Laura Bush became the first White House insider to publicly doubt their authenticity." Laura Bush: "You know, they probably are altered and they probably are forgeries." However, "Laura Bush offered no evidence to back up her claim, and CBS News continues to stand by its reporting."
LATimes Says CBS "Has Been Had."
In its editorial, the Los Angeles Times concludes "CBS News has been had. It's hard to reach any other conclusion about newly discovered documents that CBS and anchor Dan Rather are defending as revealing the truth about George W. Bush's military service. . . . So many. . .discrepancies have since emerged that it would require a willful suspension of disbelief to take them as merely coincidental."