Healthcare Reform Fears: Socialism, Disappearing Doctors, Shuttered Businesses

It's not like these fears are unfounded! The models are already in place. After all, socialized medicine exists in Canada and England already ["5 Overblown Fears About Healthcare Reform," usnews.com]. They're not doing so hot! Costs are skyrocketing, care is rationed and substandard, and medical research in both countries doesn't begin to compare to the "old" healthcare system here in the United States! Change isn't always a good thing! Be careful what you wish for! You just may get it!

Comment by Fran B. of FL

They doctors who have said they will quit, will quit. There are plenty of jobs in the private sector like Medical Officers and researchers within the biotech, pharmaceutical, and medical device world that require an M.D. How do you expect someone to go to college for a minimum of eight years, then do another 2-8 years of residency and fellowship and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a job that is going to pay $50,000-90,000. Guess what? It's not going to happen. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that the people I trust to save my life in an emergency are very well educated. Now I agree that something had to be done about our healthcare system, but if it affects the level of care that I receive, I'm not going to be happy.

Comment by David of RI

Many businesses will simply do a cost benefit analysis. How much do I spend providing healthcare to my employees through my self-funded program vs. how much would I have to pay in fee/fines? Many businesses will conclude it is cheaper to pay the fee/fines than continue with existing plans. No one is asking how the Obamacrats came up with the fee/fine structure. It is the Trojan Horse. The fee/fines are purposely set low to encourage employers to drop coverage (to save money), which will create a huge need for new coverage immediately (to be provided by private health insurers or the government). I suspect most employees will end up experiencing significant cost increases as a result.

Comment by Mike of IN

You're insane if you think small businesses will just adapt to these new pressures/costs. The last thing we needed was another challenge. Cash flow is king and anything that disrupts that is bad for business. This bill does nothing to help small businesses. Even for those of us doing the right thing and offering insurance to our employees. Washington has no clue how the private sector works.

Comment by Chris of NC

You may be correct that some of the fears are overblown, but I do not think you make a good argument on most of these points. Essentially, you are saying that these five fears do exist, but that shouldn't matter because people are resourceful and will find a way to get through it. That doesn't negate the fact that these problems exist and are PROBLEMS with this reform. Just because people are resourceful and entrepreneurs exist doesn't mean that the government should just create challenges for them.

Comment by Andrew of FL

This reform bill was meant to happen. Bill Clinton couldn't pass it. Obama almost didn't pass it. If he were unsuccessful, it would be someone else 10 years later. It makes me wonder, what is the real purpose of this reform? If the government was really worried about healthcare costs, couldn't it eliminate the rules that make doctors provide free healthcare to anyone who walks in the ER? Couldn't they eliminate the rule set by the AMA that limits the supply of doctors in the market? This bill is more about government control than anything else.

Comment by Kenny of OR

• Check out our political cartoons.
  • Become a political insider: Subscribe to U.S. News Weekly, our digital magazine.