Cold Remedies and Zicam Safety Concerns

I am 39 years old and have had many colds in my time ["Throw Out Your Zicam, and Rethink Other Alternative Cold Remedies," usnews.com]. Never once have I lost my sense of taste until I tried Zicam. I had absolutely no ability to taste any food or drink for three days. Needless to say, I never used Zicam again and thankfully have not experienced this condition since (this was several years ago when Zicam first came out). I called Zicam to report my experience and was not surprised to receive a simple cordial response stating that I was the only person to ever report such symptoms. I understand that only a very small percentage of users have had problems, but it's sad that Matrixx considers this acceptable and continues to deny any responsibility.

Comment by Mark of CO

If we stop using cold remedies that are not FDA approved, we might as well stop eating chicken soup or drinking honey and lemon when we're sick. My mother was a child of the Depression and we rarely went to a doctor, rather treating maladies with a barrage of strange concoctions ranging from a spoonful of liquor on sugar for a cough to chewed cigarette tobacco for a bee sting. It always worked and none of it was approved by the FDA. All drugs have side effects that affect some people. Zicam/zinc is no exception. Why does it always seem that the answer to anything where a loud minority is affected is to radically change the way everything is done? Use a modicum of sense ... use herbs, home remedies, and things like zinc responsibly and at the first sign of adverse side affects, stop. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Comment by Mona of SC

When I heard the news today, I went out and bought three packages. Don't know what I'll do if I run out and they don't make it anymore. When all of you throw yours out, send them my way. If you follow the directions and swab it the lower area of the nostrils only, you will not suffer a loss of smell. I've used it for three years and it works so well for me, as I've killed every single cold I've started to come down with by using this stuff. You have to use it at the very first sign of a cold, though, or it won't work.

Comment by Carrie of CO

If you would have done a Web search of this product before you used it, you would have known about the possible negative side effects of the nasal swabs, and then could have made an informed decision from there. If these claims against the product are true, I believe that the nasal-applicator form of their product should definitely be removed from the market. However, it would be a shame to see all of their products removed as a result of panic and overreaction. I, for one, am an avid user of their zinc lozenges. They work for me. I have used them to ward off many a cold, and I would be very upset if this product was no longer available for purchase.

Comment by Joseph of NY

I used the product for years with great results. Then, this February I used the nasal spray as I have many times before. I haven't smelled (or tasted) much of anything since. I'm a born skeptic, but I hate to admit that these Zicam claims appear (at least in my case) to be legit.

Comment by Bill of IL

I think that the people that were affected probably overdosed or sniffed the product. It is supposed to be administered on the lower portion of the nasal passage, not inhaled. It is not a nasal decongestant spray. I've used it according to directions for years and had positive results and will continue to use what I have. People do not follow directions if they think they already know how to use a product. I'm sure that many people have misused this product!

Comment by Karen of NY

• Check out our political cartoons.