Healthcare Reform and the Government's Role

Why is everyone worried about the government controlling our healthcare system ["Insurance Industry Supports Healthcare Reform—Say It Ain't So!" usnews.com]? Didn't we, the people of the United States, vote to have these people run the country? Why is it that we don't trust them to come up with a healthcare system that can be great for everyone no matter what income or lack of income an individual has? Canada, France, and even Cuba, has a better healthcare system than the U.S. Look it up. We are 35th on the list of which country has the best healthcare system in the world. We need healthcare reform. We don't need to be afraid of our government, but rally against decisions made by them that cause a reform to have a negative impact. Sure we'll probably have raised taxes but at what cost—no premiums, no co-pays, and no letters reading "denied" from insurance companies? Everyone paying small taxes all year to help everyone in need of healthcare instead of paying huge lump sums if you get sick, on top of your premiums you pay every month, sounds good to me!

Comment by Angel Taylor of CA

The healthcare problem was caused by the government—and right now the government is the single largest purchaser of healthcare in this country. They cannot control the costs because their system encourages the costs to go up. We need to get the government out of healthcare or it will decide whom you can see, what healthcare you can get, etc.

Comment by Richard Loomis of MA

The only way to get Congress to do anything on healthcare is to make them part of the system every American has to deal with. Right now they have a sweet deal when it comes to healthcare. They have nothing at risk and no reason to change it since it doesn't affect them or their families. In fact they have every reason not to change it because changing it will effect contributions made to their campaigns not to mention all the other perks from insurance companies and lobbyists.

Comment by Irene Campbell of NC

I know this may sound terse, but perhaps we should focus on the food industry and all the bad things we put into our bodies that make us sick. This problem can never be addressed by addressing only a part of it. We need a bold new approach. This means focus on the medical industry and the food industry and the fossil fuel industry along with a host of other greed based markets.

Comment by Richard of CA

I for one am in favor of socialized medicine. It's worked great in Canada for years. For those who have health insurance through their jobs, I'm sure it must be great. I had it in the late 1970s and early 1980s myself. After leaving that union job, I haven't been able to afford it since. My wife and I both suffer from severe illnesses, and I disagree with the general public having to pay for our well being. In Washington state, there is basic health insurance available on a sliding scale. It's in jeopardy of being axed. I am a strong believer that all should have medical and dental in the U.S.

Comment by A.R. Montgom ery of WA

Healthcare is a complex issue. Everyone deserves to receive help when they are sick, however if we have universal healthcare medical resources will be spread too thin. My worry is if we have universal healthcare, then the quality of care will be below average at best. I think we should start by regulating drug companies, and capping specific drug costs while still rewarding the innovators through government compensation.

Comment by Josh of CO