Dick Cheney and the Torture Controversy

The bar has been set pretty low for what is acceptable in America these days ["GOP Strategists to Cheney: Enough, Already," usnews.com]. If simulating death by drowning (waterboarding) is not torture, then I would hate to hear what Cheney and others consider to be torture. Seriously, effectiveness or the number of times the method was used aside, can a rational person say that the ends (information in this case) can justify the means (torture-enhanced interrogation)? That is a slippery road that doesn't end well for anyone. As a Republican, I'm afraid the United States is not done paying for the decisions and actions of the Bush/Cheney years.

Comment by Jeff of NC

I was a Democrat and followed the talking points until I realized that Dick Cheney has no motives to say what he believes except for his principles and beliefs. He and President Bush, whom I didn't vote for, kept us safe from terrorist attacks for almost eight years. I hope Obama can do this as well, but I am not sure. He did stop the release of the detainee photos, which was a good start. I hope Mr. Cheney keeps voicing his concerns so we can have a viewpoint that contrasts what we hear every day from the White House.

Comment by Andrea Fox of PA

Dick Cheney and the leadership of the Republican Party need to consider the fact that there are a large and growing group of moderate Republicans who, year by year, are becoming more and more alienated by the far right wing of the party. Colin Powell has been steadfast in his loyalty to country and party, and Cheney's sarcastic comment is repugnant; it will alienate even more moderates. The party leaders should consider the possibility that the moderate numbers are growing, that there was a reason that the Democrats won the last election, and if Republicans continue the swerve to the right, the Democrats might be in for a while.

Comment by Barby of NH

Thank you, [former] Mr. Vice President, for taking a realistic and rational stand on the issue of enhanced interrogation. Clearly, and obviously, the use of these techniques were vetted and deemed lawful before their implementation. To use them against high-value detainees was not only prudent but essential. The most effective way to deter a terrorist attack is to acquire intelligence before launch. Our enemy is ruthless, has killed thousands of Americans (and other nationals), is determined to strike hard again, and will not give up its secret plans easily. High praise to Cheney and President Bush for making the difficult decisions to protect America! No amount of political theater will cause me to forget their contributions!

Comment by Ethan Jones of CA

It's easy to say "Let's be the shining beacon of light to the world" when there are no problems. But, when we are faced with real problems (like terrorism), that is when we show our true colors. Should it be by abandoning what we were founded on and sinking to their level? Should we act out of fear? No. It's a simple fact that our liberties are going to make us less safe. There is no terrorism in North Korea, but it comes at such a cost. All I'm saying is (regardless of your political affiliation), realize that we have a fundamental problem between the ideals we espouse and the actions we have chosen.

Comment by Anthony of CA

Enough already is enough. Why would we want Cheney to stop? He's winning the political debate on this. No matter what anybody thinks, there hasn't been another attack on the United States since 9/11. It just continues to amaze me how bitter the left is regarding the Bush administration and how anybody can actually say what we did to protect ourselves were crimes or true torture. I guess it just goes to show how spineless the folks on the left are. I just wonder how many, today, would keep quiet if something happened to their family?

Comment by Jim of OH

Since Cheney is insistent that waterboarding is not torture, why doesn't he volunteer to be waterboarded himself to demonstrate to us how painless it is? What idiots like him won't ever acknowledge is that what they are implicitly saying is that it's perfectly OK for anyone else to perform waterboarding on American servicemen who get captured. As an ex-serviceman myself, I certainly don't appreciate Cheney saying that it's OK to do that to me.

Comment by Gordon of FL