Susan Boyle's Cinderella Story

Susan Boyle reminds us that we long for authenticity ["Why Singer Susan Boyle, No "American Idol," Is a Big Deal," usnews.com]. In an age which is moving at light speed, where the most bizarre and inane find an audience (and indeed are championed and "buzzed" because they earn individuals notoriety and others money), the overwhelming response to Susan Boyle is because she's real, there's no pretense at being someone she's not, and she exhibits the kind of courage to put herself on display not for the shock value, but to honor her dead mother. Shock jocks, conservative commentators, and spinsters, please take note: most of us out there who consume media, willingly or not, can spot the real thing. It's very easy to turn off the pundits, but I find myself going back frequently to witness the authenticity, grace, and talent of Susan Boyle, who reminds me that maybe, just maybe, there's some hope for the human race.

Comment by Rich Fletcher of AR

Susan Boyle brought me to tears with her inspirational singing. She has a marvelous voice that can bring joy to the world, and she has a kind and beautiful spirit. I wish her much success, and I will await her shining new career. It is refreshing to hear a great talent that is not in the Hollywood mold. It makes one wonder how much talent there is in the world like Susan Boyle's that has not been discovered. It is time for the real thing instead of the superficial starlets of Hollywood. I have watched Susan's performance at least a dozen times and it brings tears to my eyes every time. I wish her the best and I will be following her new career with eager anticipation.

Comment by Marianne Dillow of IL

I agree with Bonnie Erbe that the comments by Entertainment Weekly are not to the point. Susan is a talented singer that doesn't fit the mold of entertainers Americans seem to prefer. In the days of radio, theater, and records, talent was based on what one heard. Since the introduction of television and the Internet, greater emphasis appears to be placed on visual images rather than raw talent. That is not to say many of the entertainers from years past were not visually impressive, they were. The point is, we in America should be paying more attention to the quality of our entertainers and less on their visuals. I think Susan Boyle would receive the same reaction the public has shown if her performance was only heard on radio.

Comment by Charlie of OH

Without question her voice is astounding and seems to touch a place inside of people that has long been dormant and that needed something more than the mundane day-to-day events to awaken. But beyond her voice is the even more important characteristic of humility and a lack of entitlement. Here is a person who waited until she was 47 years old to step onstage and shine. She took the stage with a humble approach, not a smart-alec attitude like you see so often on these Idol shows and made believers of everyone in the audience and more that 15 million so far on YouTube. What held her back all this time only Susan knows, but as I watched her perform I had a sense that she is very humble and unassuming and never felt worthy of the moment. Clearly from the audience's and judge's initial reactions, they believe the stereotypes of successful people and that only young people can succeed in society. Well, chalk one up for the rest of us thanks to Susan Boyle. She proves that you should never judge a person by their external appearance and that anyone with the will and skill can succeed! I am very impressed and hope the world richly rewards Susan for taking a step into the spotlight and sharing her glorious gift.

Comment by Michael Clark of MI

There is absolutely no correlation between looks and the quality of someone's singing voice. Why are people so surprised when some of the best singers of all time have not been that great looking (think Barbara Streisand and Ella Fitzgerald). This is why we are inundated with so much terrible music today. All that matters is how you look on TV.

Comment by Lisa P. of CA

I'm glad Bonnie Erbe took a portion of Adam's article from Ew.com and posted on her page. I agree Bonnie, that British audience and the judges were cruel, patronizing, and jaded, until Susan belted out her song. When I watch America's Got Talent, I notice the American audience never snickers or laughs at the contestants before their performance. That says a lot. And you know why? Because Americans love the underdogs. In this country, we're made up of underdogs, until we prove everyone wrong. When Susan sang, the emotions behind it, was powerful, breathtaking, and inspiring. I had tears in my eyes. When someone sings that powerfully, there is a personal story behind each word sung and each note carried through everyone's heart. My condolences go to her for the loss of her mother. Prior to her performance, I was so upset when I watched the audience and all three judges snicker, roll their eyes, and laugh at Susan. She rocked the house, and wiped off their stupid smirks and grins. I'm voting for you Susan. You go girl!

Comment by R.M. Rivera of NY

[Susan Boyle] has virtually a perfect Broadway and semi-classical voice. She has perfect intonation, flawless breath control, and total control of meaning and emotion. She is also something of an actress, too. Too bad she was not given this chance at age 30 instead of 47. The line after "And the tigers come at night" showed remarkable breath control and dramatic intensity. I hope she gets a chance to perform some professionally, and maybe someone will help her put out a CD of Broadway type songs.

Comment by Bill of NY