Taxes and a Tempest in a Tea Party; Cap-and-Trade

Tempest Over Taxes

One thing to consider about the "proper" amount of taxes is, as of right now, the tax policy is still held over from the Bush administration ["Sorry, Tea Party Movement, Polls Say Americans Don't Mind Taxes," usnews.com]. I would like to know how people feel once the Bush tax cuts expire and our taxes go back up. If the margin right now is narrow, once those cuts expire, I expect many people to change their minds. To say that a poll right now about how much people are spending in taxes is representative of how things will be once Obama has his way is misleading to say the least. The tea parties are about seeing the situation on the horizon where our government simply can't pay for all the programs it is proposing without raising taxes. Many people see those programs as something they don't want to pay for. Hence, they protest.

Comment by Mike of IN

I have no problem paying taxes. I realize that I live in a society that has expenses and that nothing is free. I work hard to make sure my family and fellow citizens don't starve or die on the streets like animals. I don't care what other people pay (or don't pay) because I am an adult, and I look after myself like an adult should. If you don't like America, please find a tax-free place to live and stop whining. Ever since Bush lost, all I read on the Internet are people complaining. Just pay your taxes and realize this is one of many things in your life you can't control. I just hope you don't lose your jobs while you're so busy protesting something stupid like an inevitability ... it's like protesting against daylight.

Comment by Dan of MI

Think your taxes are fine now? Just wait until your children and grandchildren have to pay for all this spending. Then we will see who is happy with the amount of taxes they are paying.

Comment by Rob of GA

It's bad enough that we pay for all sorts of pork projects. Our leaders (both Democrats and Republicans) keep sinking us deeper and deeper in debt. Now I'm convinced that our government has gone mad! I have never spent my way out of debt. The government's only option is to print more money and raise taxes for all the things they want to do. Our country is full of intelligent people, people who know something about economics. It's a shame Washington won't listen to any of them. Prepare for more protests.

Comment Don Sakalis of IL

Your polls fall in line with the number of people who pay no taxes. The Tea Parties being held are by the 50+ percent that pay the taxes for all the non-productive people in this country. You don't think half the population which is on some type of entitlement program is going to say they should be taxed? This is only the beginning of a tax payer revolt!

Comment by Carl M. Crowthers of NC

Cap-and-Trade Concerns

I have read the arguments of both sides of the climate debate since the '70s, when the main concern was global cooling instead of global warming ["Next Bernie Madoff? Emissions Cap-and-Trade Aids the Corrupt, Hurts the Little Guy," usnews.com]. I find the arguments of the skeptics more convincing; I see no reason to believe that the current warming trend is anything unusual. Carbon cap-and-trade will give us higher energy costs and will result in the transfer of U.S. manufacturing jobs to China and India. It will damage the U.S. economy without producing any measurable effect on climate. We should not pursue cap-and-trade or a carbon tax at the present time.

Comment by Kevin McCrory of SC

Cap-and-trade will be an economic time bomb. Global warming is a theory not backed by any real fact. Some scientists say we are heading to a mini ice age. There is no total agreement on the issue. I believe in clean air and water, but I also know green tech is as much as 10 years away. Cap-and-trade is something the American public cannot afford. However I believe Washington, D.C., will try to force it down our throats as they have with other recent spending and taxing bills. I know at our expense, many of the politically connected will make a fortune.

Comment by Bob DiNubila of NY

With a Congress composed of mostly millionaires, where does concern for the middle and lower classes come from? The middle and lower classes will face increased prices that will minimize or completely erase any federal income tax reductions Obama has in mind. This is our political class giving us a little handout with one hand and taking a lot more in return with the other. All of this is an indirect tax hike on the middle and lower classes. And, it looks to me like this is a means of driving many carbon-intensive industries out of business.

Comment by Jim of ID

The author correctly points out the obvious and much discussed flaws of the European system. However, this article doesn't attempt to debunk any of the arguments as to how a U.S. system could combat not only the primary causes of the Euro failure to date, but also limit any unwanted externalities. As someone who apparently appreciates the use of negative associations (no matter how illogical or unconnected the analogy may be), your argument against cap-and-trade is the equivalent of those who relied on invoking Reverend Wright or Bill Ayers as their rationale for voting against Obama.

Comment by Courtney of NY