An Emotional Election Outpouring

There are no words that can express the joy I felt when it was announced that Senator Obama was president elect. I jumped up and down all over my living room, falling down on the floor crying and thanking God ["Public Opinion: President-elect Barack Obama," unews.com]. There are so many poll stories: A 90-year-old lady in line where I voted was given a chair to sit in and as the line move up people moved the chair up. Another lady was told that her husband who was at home with Hospice had died and she remained in line until she had cast her vote before she left. People were at the poll in wheelchairs, walkers, teenagers, middle-aged and elderly people. My 85-year-old mother worked the polls. It is amazing the feeling I have over this election.

Comment by Julia Marbury of AL

I am very happy that Obama won the election. I am soooo ready for that change in the economy. Even though I couldn't vote, because of my age, I still think my voice was heard. Thank You America...

Comment by Tricia of MI

There is an additional dimension of pride for my/our America today, we did the right thing. There is no doubt; it is Obama's time. I know he can handle this position. He is an intelligent, clear-thinking individual who will think things out and place good people around him. We are one America; no red, no blue, just all the same. We are one people.

Comment by Dolores Picone of NJ

Finally, the United States has put-down our "heavy baggage" of our past oppression. The "idea" that is America is now manifest in this new beginning. The United States has matured and advanced itself (and all of its citizens) as a more inclusive and forgiving nation. All Americans won because our nation showed the world (once again) how a successful democracy transitions governing power, in a peaceful and inclusive manner. Today, the "beacon of light" that is United States of America shines brighter across our nation and our world. The United States will once again be leading our world be example of progress and betterment of mankind. Obama has skills seen only once or twice in a century. I'm a middle-aged white guy with a family that I (obviously) love. Today, because of this election, my children stand a better chance to live in a better, race-neutral world than ever before. I couldn't be happier or prouder of our nation!

Comment by Neil Cronin of MA

As in all elections, there is no doubt that there are some voters for whom the outcome of this election is a disappointment. Perhaps because I am not one of the negative voices today, I am unable to understand the value in continuing to propagate the divisiveness that was part of the race. Personally, I cannot express how grateful I am to witness history unfold as the majority of Americans welcome Barack Obama with open arms as our 44th president of the United States—the election was, without argument, a decisive victory for our president-elect, signifying we, as Americans, want the change this presidency offers. In an era of anonymous posting, internet rage, partisanship, racial basis, etc, there are so many reasons we, as a nation, are divided. I'm proud that we have are moving toward a future with a leader who encourages us to look forward.

Comment by Mandi Clayton of TX

Barack Obama has inspired us and planted the seed of change, but he will call on all of us to help propel the change that we so need. One man cannot simply bring about the change alone, he needs an army. We as Americans do need to step up and ask, how can we help to make America better for future generations? This change will not happen quickly, but we must not give up. This is a transformational moment! Hope and unity will allow us to prosper again.

Comment by K. Heron of MA

Let's just realize that what made this country great was capitalism and the more we undermine it with income redistribution the more people are going to lose their sense of connection with productivity and success. I believe this country would do better with less government and anyone who argues with me need only look at our comparative trends to the rest of the world before the growth of big government following World War II and our decline afterward.

Comment by Scott Herring of PA