Letters and Comments

Readers comment on "Voters Deadlocked on Same-Sex Marriage Ban in California."

My partner and I flew into San Diego to get married. It was important for us to do. After being together for 18 years, it was nice to be able to do it. To be honest, I never thought I would be able to. I don't understand why this bothers people so much. People bring up God and the Bible to justify their views, but whatever happened to the separation of church and state? I respect people who believe marriage is between a man and a woman. But, those are their religious beliefs. To enact discrimination in the state constitution is wrong and imposes their religious beliefs onto others. The other argument I hear is that the courts overruled the voice of the people. That may be true. But sometimes, it takes the courts to recognize injustice. It wasn't too long ago that women and minorities didn't have the right to vote, and interracial marriage was illegal. Sometimes what is right isn't what is popular. Gay marriage has happened in Massachusetts, and the world hasn't ended. And, gay people don't get married to spite or hurt people. We just want to be treated equal and be recognized as such. I don't care if they never teach same-sex marriage in school. I just want to be married to my partner. I don't know if my story or arguments will change anyone's mind. But, I wanted to share what this amendment means to me.

Comment by Jeffrey of Fla.

I believe Proposition 8 is a moral issue and that the definition of marriage is only between a man and a woman. I hope those who believe as I do will stand up and be counted on November 4!

Comment by Barbara N. of Calif.

I don't get how anyone with any morals can support an amendment that could destroy over 11,500 marriages and families. Why would anyone vote to deny children of having married parents? Many same-sex couples have biological and adopted children, and this horrible amendment will make sure those poor children will never have the benefits or protections of married parents. Can 50 percent of the voters of California actually be so selfish and hateful that they would vote to harm innocent children? California will go down in history as the most cruel and inhuman state in the union if this amendment passes. I would never take my children there (thank heavens there is Disney in Florida) and subject them to people who obviously have so little regard for the welfare of children. Proposition 8 is quite simply un-American.

Comment by Michael Charles of N.Y.

To compare gay marriage with interracial marriage is to compare apples and oranges; only gay marriage redefines marriage as something other than one man and one women.

Comment by Tim of Calif.

What's the big deal with calling it "marriage"? Do people feel they deserve a medal for being straight and being able to marry? If marriage is so "important," why do so many straight people divorce, cheat, and in some cases, fool around with somebody of their same sex?

Comment by Robert of Fla.

It is the function of a democracy as well as the sacred sanctity of marriage to be defended with both intelligence and responsibility by the majority of voters who value and understand it.

Comment by Robert Alwyn of Calif.

I have no problem giving gay couples the exact same right to be with the one they love as any male/female couple. I don't care who you fall in love with. My problem is calling it "marriage" just to spite those who may have some religious belief that "marriage" should be between a man and a woman. Call it civil union and get on with it. Stop trying to force people to see things your way on your terms.

Comment by Ace of Calif.