Should the Police Have Evicted 'Occupy Wall Street' from Zuccotti Park?

City officials cite safety and sanitation concerns as justification for dismantling the protest.

By + More

Occupy Wall Street protesters are regrouping after New York police evicted them from their encampment in Zuccotti Park early Tuesday morning. City officials expressed concerns over safety and sanitation to justify the dismantling of the mostly peaceful, two-month-old protest in lower Manhattan. Occupy Wall Street inspired similar “Occupy" movements nationwide that object to the economic disparity between the "1 percent" richest Americans and the other "99 percent." Seventy protesters were arrested in the eviction. Reports have since surfaced that the eviction turned violent, and police sought to prevent journalists from recording any signs of brutality.

[See a collection of political cartoons on Occupy Wall Street]

Though authorities were able to clean the park, new rules have been instated prohibiting sleeping bags, storage, and tents from the park. "Protesters have had two months to occupy the park with tents and sleeping bags. Now they will have to occupy the space with the power of their arguments," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement Tuesday. Occupy-ers insist they won’t let the move thwart their efforts. While waiting for Zuccotti to reopen, they marched through the streets in the vicinity of the barricaded park and petitioned for a new protest space near Canal Street.

What do you think? Should the police have evicted the Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zuccotti Park? Take the poll and comment below.

This poll is now closed, but the debate continues in the comments section.

Previously: Should the Supreme Court Rule Obama's Healthcare Law Unconstitutional?