ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — Algeria's energy minister says a gas installation where a terrorist attack left at least 37 hostages dead last year will soon return to full production.
Youcef Yousfi says the Ain Amenas site, which now operates at two-thirds capacity, will resume full production "in several weeks" when the third gas stream is restarted.
On Jan. 16, 2013, a band of al-Qaida-affiliated militants attacked the Ain Amenas complex and took dozens of foreign workers hostage. After a four-day standoff, the Algerian army moved in and killed 29 attackers and captured three others. At least 37 hostages, including an Algerian worker, died in the battle.
The Ain Amenas facility is jointly run by BP, Algeria's Sonatrach and Norway's Statoil.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.