SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, Spain (AP) — Spanish judicial authorities say the driver in charge of a Spanish train that derailed at high speed, killing 78 people and injuring dozens more, will not be appearing before a judge on Saturday as had been hoped.
A justice department statement released early Saturday says the intention now is to wait until 52-year-old Francisco Jose Garzon Amo is able to appear in court, rather than having a judge come to his hospital bedside.
Garzon is under arrest in a hospital on suspicion of recklessness while driving the train.
A blood-soaked Garzon was photographed Wednesday being escorted away from the wreckage.
Judicial authorities had said Garzon would likely testify appear before a judge on Saturday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.