By ESAM MOHAMED, Associated Press
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — The deputy U.S. secretary of state has met senior Libyan officials in Tripoli and is expected to attend a memorial service for the American ambassador and three consulate staffers killed in an attack last week.
William Burns is the most senior US official to visit Libya in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack on the consulate in Benghazi and comes as Washington is still working to piece together how its top diplomat there, Ambassador Chris Stevens, was killed.
Libyan officials said Burns and the commander of the U.S. Africa Command Gen. Carter F. Ham met Thursday with the foreign minister and senior Libyan military officials.
Saad al-Shalmani, a foreign ministry official, said Minister Ashour bin Khayal told Burns Libya is ready to cooperate in investigating the attack.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.