First daughter Malia turns 11 on July 4, and already the gifts are rolling in, wanted or not. Best in Beauty of Florida, for example, is sending her a gift basket of nontoxic, hypoallergenic beauty products that 'tweens with allergies, like her, can use. How do we know? It put out a press release about the Malia gift basket, which it is also offering for $354.20. While the company has a good message in the gift—safe products are available for kids with allergies like the first daughter—it didn't first get permission to tie the sales pitch to Malia, an oversight that in the past has irked this and other White Houses. Just remember the outcry when first lady Michelle Obama lashed out at Beanie Babies for making Sasha and Malia dolls.
The company also notes that the products are not being named after Malia, but as you can see in the release, it is being marketed as "Malia Obama's Birthday Gift Basket."
BEST IN BEAUTY CELEBRATES BIRTHDAY OF MALIA OBAMA WITH GIFT OF NON-TOXIC, Hypoallergenic BEAUTY PRODUCTS:
Best in Beauty co-founder sends mother-approved products to one of our Nation's daughters
Tampa, Fla.—June 22, 2009—Along with the United States of America, Malia Obama also celebrates her birthday on July 4th. In honor of her birthday, Best in Beauty (http://www.BestinBeauty.com), a company dedicated to teaching consumers how to read cosmetic product labels, is sending a birthday gift basket full of non-toxic, hypoallergenic cosmetic products to her, perfect for any tween.
Tara Lee, co-founder of Best in Beauty and mother of two, started Best in Beauty with concern for her young daughter in mind. So, she thought a great way to celebrate one of our Nation's daughters' birthdays would be with a gift basket full of safe cosmetic products her own daughter will use one day. Malia Obama's cosmetic gift basket from Best in Beauty is full of age-appropriate products for girls who are newly introduced to the world of cosmetics. "Through Best in Beauty's Labels for Life initiative, I wanted to raise awareness about potentially harmful ingredients in cosmetics and create a discussion among consumers," says Lee. "I'm not a scientist, but I am a mom, and I care about the products that I put on my skin and my children's. I find the lack of thorough regulation in the cosmetic industry by the FDA disturbing. If ingredients like dibutyl phthalate have been banned in Europe, why not in the U.S.? I just want people to make an educated decision about the cosmetics they use. That's what Best in Beauty is about."
Products featured in Malia Obama's birthday gift basket are:
- Pristine Beauty Vanity Tray - A 1940's inspired Vanity Tray that includes Hooray for Brallywood Butta, Take A Whiff! deodorant and No Scary Hairy. This set of products provides a healthy and effective way to care for yourself or someone you love. Created by a young cancer survivor, proceeds from Pristine Beauty products are donated to the Young Survival Coalition® and the Cancer Prevention Coalition.
- Occomeia Organic Foaming Cleanser - Based out of Malia's hometown of Chicago, Occomeia provides a patented blend of raw natural black soap, tea tree oil, shea butter oil, purified water and other skin healing essential oils. This organic facial cleanser is physician-formulated and used as a soap, packaged in a unique foam pump delivery system. Occomeia addresses all skin types and skin conditions (Razor bumps, acne, eczema, discolorations, rashes, etc).
- Solay Wellness Persian Rock Salt Lamp (from another Chicago-area company) - Salt crystal lamps can increase negative ion counts, which benefit asthma patients, people with chronic lung illnesses and allergy sufferers. They also help improve learning, memory and emotional well being. Solay Persian salt crystal lamps are very rare, gorgeous and work well in bedrooms. The colors of these lamps range from fuchsias, magentas, lavenders and purples with some variations of white all in a single lamp. Perfect for any child's room, it weighs 1-2 lbs, is up to 4" high and has an ion radius of approximately 2'.
- Purifying Lavender Body Bar Soap from Solay Wellness - Sweet Lavender essential oils combined with the all-natural ingredients of Himalayan salt.
- Dropwise Essentials' Luscious Lime and Orange Dream Organic Aromatherapy Lip Balm - Dropwise lip balms are made with a high concentration of certified organic, skin-loving oils that heal, moisturize, nourish, protect, and soften dry, cracked and sore lips. Regular use of this balm turns dry, chapped or cracked lips into moist, supple, soft and luscious lips. So light, it can be worn as a gloss over your lip color or by itself.
- Dropwise Essentials' Refresh and Inspiration Gentle Cleansing Body Wash, Nourishing Hand & Body Lotion (both made with certified organic oils) and Aromatic Mister Room & Body Spray - These products contain no synthetic or petroleum ingredients, are hand-crafted in the U.S. and are packaged in reusable / recyclable materials. The "Refresh" products are a stimulating blend of spearmint, peppermint, lime and other essential oils. The "Inspiration" products are a heartwarming blend of citrus and ginger essential oils, mixed with a hint of elemi.
- Ecco Bella Good For You Gloss (Color: Peace) - This moisturizing natural lip gloss with Shea butter and a hint of vanilla features a unique applicator tube with a built-in mirror. It has a shiny, sleek texture that isn't greasy or heavy and leaves the lips feeling as good as they look. The color, "Peace," offers an innocent, nude pink shade.
- Ecco Bella Vanilla Shampoo and Ecco Bella Vanilla Conditioner - These products offer a spa experience for the hair and scalp. The warm vanilla fragrance bathes the user in a fabulous aroma while gently cleansing hair, without stripping or drying.
- Ferro Autumn Kiss Glow - Like the color palette of fallen leaves in October, this beautiful Glow is tinted with berry and gold undertones to instantly awaken the face, even during sobering months. Mineral-rich all over makeup exemplifies the look of health and vitality with a warm flush of color.
- Ferro Golden Mocha Radiance Foundation - Radiance Foundation offers a flawless sheer to medium coverage that blends effortlessly for a radiant, soft focus effect that enhances the skin's appearance. Ferro's unique blend with a soft sheen is gentle enough for women with sensitive skin and allergies. This foundation offers a rich, yet sheer mocha shade with golden undertones.
- Ferro Black Fabuki Brush - Makes applying foundations, mineral veils and other naturally fabulous Ferro cosmetics a breeze. Soft, quality bristles provide light to medium coverage.
From June 20 through July 1, Best in Beauty will offer people across the U.S. a chance to sign the accompanying birthday card for Malia on the Best in Beauty Web site (http://bestinbeauty.com/malia-birthday.aspx) as well as purchase the gift basket products for themselves or loved ones free of shipping and handling charges.
Gift basket images are available upon journalist request, as well as product images.
About Best in Beauty
Best in Beauty, based out of Tampa, Fla., is dedicated to providing high-quality, healthy beauty products to consumers at a price they can afford. Best in Beauty believes high standards for health and safety in the cosmetic industry are long overdue and offers products through its site from manufacturers that represent what the cosmetic industry should be. Through its program, Labels for Life, Best in Beauty teaches consumers ways to read cosmetic product labels so consumers are aware of harmful chemicals used in mass-market products, such as lead, mercury and formaldehyde. Through partnerships with quality brands such as Pristine Beauty(tm), Ecco Bella, Ferro Cosmetics(tm) and many more, Best in Beauty is determined to be the leading source for non-toxic personal care products. For more information about Best in Beauty, its product partners or Labels for Life, visit: http://www.BestinBeauty.com.
Read more Washington Whispers.