"They support him 1,000 percent," the lawyer added. "They don't believe the so-called confession."
Etan's parents had a court declare the boy legally dead more than a decade ago, allowing them to sue convicted child molester Jose Ramos in the boy's death.
Ramos was found responsible — a ruling made because he didn't entirely cooperate with questioning during the lawsuit — but it's unclear how that finding could now factor into the prosecution of Hernandez.
Ramos, now 69, had been dating the boy's baby sitter in 1979 and was considered a suspect. He was later convicted of molesting two different children and was in prison in Pennsylvania prison for more than a quarter-century.
Ramos had been scheduled to be released last week, but he was immediately rearrested on a charge of failing to register properly as a sex offender; authorities said he'd lied about where he planned to live, giving an address a relative vacated long ago. He was ordered to stand trial Thursday for allegedly providing authorities with a bogus address.
Etan's father, Stanley Patz, said Wednesday that the family wasn't commenting on the case.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.