FBI Agents Staying Away From Benghazi For Now

091212_Libya_attack.jpg

A burnt car is seen after an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

Associated Press + More

By PETE YOST, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — For security reasons, FBI agents are staying away from the Libyan city where a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed, two law enforcement officials said Friday.

[SEE: Gallery: U.S. Ambassador Killed as Consulate Attacks Target Libya, Egypt]

The officials say the bureau is not going to put agents in harm's way and that the city of Benghazi must be made secure before the FBI sends investigators there.

The officials demanded anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on the record about an ongoing investigation.

FBI agents were sent to Libya last week to look into the Sept. 11 attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, a State Department computer expert and two former U.S. Navy Seals.

[READ: Panetta: Terrorists Behind U.S. Attack in Libya]

At FBI headquarters Friday, spokesman Paul Bresson said "we are moving forward with our investigation," but Bresson declined to comment on the specific location of the agents.

Separately, the State Department is further reducing the U.S. Embassy staff in Tripoli for security reasons. The embassy warned Americans of possible demonstrations in the capital and Benghazi on Friday.

On Thursday, Libya's leader said his government had disbanded about 10 militia groups and will continue to take action against Muslim extremists.

President Mohammed el-Megarif said the attack on the U.S. Consulate earlier this month that killed the four Americans was a final straw. He did not say when the militias were disbanded, or how many remain.

For more updates, Follow U.S. News & World Report on Facebook and Twitter.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.