By The Associated Press, Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (all times EDT):
1. EUROPE'S LEADERS LOOK TO MERKEL AS EU SUMMIT BEGINS
The leaders of Italy, France and Spain will try to press the German chancellor to share debts as they begin to gather at 8 a.m.
2. SUPREME COURT TO ISSUE OPINION TODAY ON OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE LAW
Chief Justice John Roberts is expected the reveal the high court's verdict on the president's initiative shortly after 10 a.m.
3. IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, STAY IN THE KITCHEN
With 1,015 heat records being broken around the country, many may not want to venture outside their air-conditioned homes.
4. NO BUTTS ABOUT CAMPUS IF TOBACCO BANS GET ENACTED
The movement at more than half of universities is driven by mounting evidence of the health risks of secondhand smoke and other factors.
5. HOLDER EXPECTED TO GET FAST AND FURIOUS DECISION FROM CONGRESS
House Republicans plan historic votes after 4:30 p.m. on whether to hold the attorney general in civil and criminal contempt of Congress.
6. YOUNG ADULTS ARE STAYING IN THE CITY
New census data shows they are delaying careers, marriage and having children amid persistently high unemployment.
7. COMING SOON: SEVERE WEATHER ALERTS TO SMARTPHONES
The alerts can also be used to spread the word about missing children or national security threats.
8. NEWS CORP. SPLITS NEWSPAPER AND ENTERTAINMENT INTERESTS
The global media conglomerate will end up with two separate companies.
9. LEGISLATION ON HIGHWAYS AND STUDENT LOANS EXPECTED BY SATURDAY
Without action by then, federal authority to conduct road, mass transit and other transportation programs would end along with the ability to collect gas taxes.
10. PHELPS FINALLY GETS A NIGHT OFF FROM BATTLING LOCHTE
The Olympic gold medalist will swim in the 200-meter butterfly final at 8 p.m. without his rival to worry about.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.