(9) OREGON STATE vs. (8) Middle Tennessee — The Beavers rode an 11-game winning streak, the second-longest in school history and best since 1982-83, into the Pac-12 championship game before losing to USC. They will keep it going against Middle Tennessee playing in an arena they had a lot of success in.
(12) HAMPTON vs. (5) Michigan State — The Lady Pirates earned the highest seeding ever for a MEAC team since the women's field expanded to 64 teams. Now they'll win the second game ever by the conference and a 19th straight victory overall.
(4) NORTH CAROLINA vs. (13) UT Martin — There may be some opening jitters, but the stellar North Carolina freshmen class led by Diamond Deshields will help the Tar Heels cruise.
(6) DAYTON vs. (11) Florida — Jim Jabir's team came up short in the Atlantic-10 final against Fordham. Still the conference got more teams in the field than the American and Big East. The Flyers will advance to the second round for the second straight year.
(3) PENN STATE vs. (14) Wichita State — There will be no shocker here as the Lady Lions cruise at home into the second round.
(7) IOWA STATE vs. (10) Florida State — The Seminoles have the best player on the court with Natasha Howard. The Cyclones don't lose too many at home. This will not be one of those occasions.
(2) STANFORD vs. (15) South Dakota — It's rare when the Cardinal have to leave the West Coast to play an NCAA tournament game. South Dakota's first trip to the NCAA tournament will be a short one.
SOUTH CAROLINA vs. Oregon State — Should be a really great matchup in the post between Oregon State's Ruth Hamblin and South Carolina's Alaina Coates. The Gamecocks have enough of a supporting cast to come away with the close win.
NORTH CAROLINA vs. Hampton — Playing at home will push the Tar Heels past the Lady Pirates. Having coach Sylvia Hatchell around could provide an extra lift for the host team.
PENN STATE vs. Dayton — Maggie Lucas won't let her stellar career end at home getting Penn State to the regional semifinals.
STANFORD vs. Iowa State — The Cardinal will know what their opponents will feel like in the regionals facing a hostile crowd. Difference is Stanford has Chiney Ogwumike and the Cyclones don't.
NORTH CAROLINA vs. South Carolina — The Tar Heels won by eight in Myrtle Beach in December. They've gotten better since then.
STANFORD vs. Penn State — The Lady Lions didn't lose many road games this season, but they have no answer for Chiney Ogwumike.
NORTH CAROLINA vs. Stanford — Diamond Deshields thrives playing on the road in front of hostile crowds. Just ask Duke. She'll help the Tar Heels pull off another upset ending the Cardinal's run.
NOTRE DAME REGIONAL
(1) NOTRE DAME vs. (16) Robert Morris — The NEC is looking for its first win as a conference in the NCAAs. They'll have to wait until next year.
(8) VANDERBILT vs. (9) Arizona State — Charli Turner Thorne has gotten the most out of her young team this season. If they can keep it within a few points they have a chance. Vanderbilt will have too much for it to stay close.
(12) FLORIDA GULF COAST vs. (5) Oklahoma State — The Eagles first appearance in the NCAAs two seasons ago was memorable with an overtime loss to St. Bonaventure after blowing a 10-point lead. Florida Gulf Coast will hang on this time.
(4) PURDUE vs. (13) Akron — The Boilermakers were 4-0 against MAC teams this season. They'll remain undefeated after the first round.
(11) CHATTANOOGA vs. (6) Syracuse — Jim Foster is the first coach to take four different teams to the NCAA tournament. His Lady Mocs will win their 26th straight game and leave Syracuse still looking for its first NCAA win.
(3) KENTUCKY vs. (14) Wright State — After beating Wisconsin-Green Bay to win the Horizon League, Wright State earned its first trip to the NCAAs. They'll face a Kentucky squad that has never lost to a Horizon League member. Don't look for that to change.
(10) FORDHAM vs. (7) California — After falling a point short last season, the Rams are making their first trip to the NCAAs in 20 years. Should be a great matchup at the point between Erin Rooney and Cal's Brittany Boyd. Why not Fordham?