Partial win for Penske in NASCAR penalties appeal

Associated Press + More

By JENNA FRYER, Associated Press

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — NASCAR's chief appeals officer has upheld the fines and points penalties against Penske Racing for parts infractions at Texas last month.

John Middlebrook issued his decision Tuesday. He did reduce the suspensions of team members from the next six races to the next two, which means they can return to the track at Dover for the June 2 race.

Team owner Roger Penske said that was the "most important" part of the decision. He says the "key thing" is having his crew back at the track.

NASCAR inspectors confiscated parts from the rear suspensions of the cars of defending champion Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano before the April 13 race at Texas. Penske said the parts were approved but the organization was working in a gray area of the rule book in how they were used.

The team was hit with $200,000 in fines and seven Penske team members were suspended. Keselowski and Logano were docked 25 points each. A three-member appeals panel upheld the penalties last week, but Penske appealed. Middlebrook's decision is binding.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.