Refs Cheered at First NFL Game Following Lockout


Baltimore Ravens cornerback Cary Williams celebrates his interception and touchdown during the second half of an NFL game against the Cleveland Browns in Baltimore on Sept. 27, 2012.

Associated Press + More

By JOSEPH WHITE, Associated Press

BALTIMORE (AP) — No one is complaining that the refs cost the Cleveland Browns the game. That mere fact is a major victory for the NFL and the seven-man crew led by referee Gene Steratore, who brought official harmony back to the nation's most popular league.

Cheered from the moment they walked onto the field, the men in stripes ran a smooth and efficient game Thursday night as the NFL's lockout of officials came to an end with the Baltimore Ravens' 23-16 win over the Browns.

"To just be applauded by 50,000 people prior to anything happening, it was something that kind of chokes you up," Steratore said. "It was a very special feeling."

[PHOTOS: Replacement Ref Rage]

Sure, there were calls that made both sides unhappy. Browns coach Pat Shurmur drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for arguing an intentional grounding call, and Ravens left tackle Michael Oher could be heard raising all kinds of beef about a holding call.

But, overall, the officials kept the game in control, curtailing the chippy play and choppy pace — not to mention the inconsistent calls — that had marred the three weeks of games with replacement officials.

"It was great to have those guys back," Ravens running back Ray Rice said. "It looked like they knew what they were doing."

An agreement to end the lockout was reached late Wednesday after marathon negotiations, two days after a "Monday Night Football" finish brought debate over the use of the replacements to a fevered pitch nationwide.

That game ended when a 24-yard desperation pass on the last play was ruled a touchdown — even though replays appeared to show it should have been an interception — giving the Seattle Seahawks a disputed 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers.

[RELATED: Obama: Disputed Game Means NFL Needs Regular Refs]

The stage was set for something eerily similar Thursday. A fourth-down unnecessary roughness penalty on Baltimore's Paul Kruger — a good call, given the way he shoved Cleveland's Joe Thomas after the whistle — gave the Browns one final play from the 18-yard line.

But Brandon Weeden's 18-yard pass sailed high as time expired. No controversial ending this time.

"I thought they handled (the game) great," Cleveland coach Pat Shurmur said. "I had all the confidence in the world that this was going to be officiated in the right way."

The newfound love for the refs was evident all evening.

About an hour before kickoff, they made their first appearance on the field and heard cheers from the early arrivals. A few minutes later, Steratore was shaking hands with Shurmur near midfield and getting a hug from Ravens face-of-the-franchise Ray Lewis at the 30-yard line.

Later, when the crew returned, they received a standing ovation and doffed their caps to the crowd. One fan held up a sign that read: "Finally! We get to yell at real refs! Welcome back!"

"It was very chaotic with the replacement refs," said Karen Riley, a 44-year-old fan wearing a Rice jersey. "They couldn't control the players on either side. There were bad calls, constantly, and in some cases refs making different calls at the same time."

When Steratore then turned on his microphone to greet the captains for the pre-game coin toss, the crowd heard him say: "Good evening, men. It's good to be back."

The stadium erupted in a roar.

"You know we always pride ourselves in being a face without a name," Steratore, a 10-year league veteran, told The Associated Press about an hour before kickoff. "This will be a little different, but I don't expect it to last too long. And that's the goal — is that we can let them get through that portion of this. It's happy to be back, it's happy to be appreciated. But then as soon as the game starts, it's happy to disappear again and let the entertainers entertain."

The deal to end the lockout is only tentative — it must be ratified by 51 percent of the union's 121 members in a vote scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Dallas — but both sides nevertheless went forward with the plan to have the regulars back for Thursday's game.