CHICAGO (AP) — Cook County prosecutors said Friday that they will not file charges against Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro for criminal sexual assault.
"We're pleased for Starlin that this issue is resolved and glad that he can continue to keep his focus on baseball activities," Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said.
The state's attorney's office and Chicago police reviewed the case and found insufficient evidence to charge the 21-year-old player, state's attorney spokeswoman Sally Daly said.
Chicago police said in January that they were investigating an allegation of sexual assault against Castro. Castro said he cooperated with authorities. His attorneys have said the allegations are baseless.
"I understand that being a member of the Cubs means being a hard worker on the field and a good citizen off the field, and I always want to carry myself in a way that exceeds high expectations," Castro said in a statement released by the Cubs on Jan. 13.
Castro was chosen to the All-Star team last year in his first full major league season when he batted .307 and led the National League with 207 hits. The young star made his major league debut in May 2010. Chicago signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2006.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.