WASHINGTON (AP) — The government says it might seek new criminal charges against one of four former Blackwater security guards in the shootings of dozens of Iraqi citizens at a traffic circle in Baghdad in 2007.
On Wednesday, a federal judge dismissed an indictment against defendant Nicholas Slatten after a federal appeals court said the statute of limitations had lapsed before the government filed the case against Slatten last October.
Slatten had been charged with manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and using a firearm in a crime of violence.
The government says it might seek to bring new charges against Slatten that could become part of a scheduled June 11 trial of the other three Blackwater guards in the case.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.