At Least 47 Dead in Asia From Typhoon Usagi

The strongest storm of the year wrecked havoc on China and the Philippines.


A man runs away from a huge wave pushed up by Typhoon Usagi on Sunday in Shantou, China.

By + More

At least 47 people were killed across Southeast Asia after being slammed by the most powerful tropical storm of the year.

Satellite image of Super Typhoon Usagi as it heads west-northwest Friday between the Philippines and Taiwan toward China.


Typhoon Usagi was expected to ravage Hong Kong on Sunday. The storm narrowly missed and instead battered the province of Guangdong northeast of the city, where state news agency Xinhua reported at least 25 deaths. More than 300,000 people were relocated and 8,490 homes were destroyed as of Monday.

[READ: Flash Floods Force Thousands of Evacuations in Colorado]

Rescuers wade through chest-deep floodwaters Monday along a street in Manila, Philippines.

Xinhua added that the direct economic loss from the storm has already totaled roughly $1.16 billion.

Though no fatalities were reported in Hong Kong, the storm wrecked havoc on the city's transportation. Hong Kong International Airport cancelled more than 300 flights. Hong Kong's intercity trains were suspended until Tuesday, Xinhua reported. Airport officials were still dealing with a backlog of flights Monday.

[READ: NASA to Monitor Tropical Storm Gabrielle With Former Military Drones]

Passengers wait at airline counters Monday at Hong Kong's international airport.

Usagi was downgraded from a super typhoon – with winds exceeding 115 mph – on Saturday as it crawled between the Philippines and Taiwan through the Luzon Strait. Though the Philippines were spared the brunt of the storm, landslides caused by monsoon rains worsened by Usagi killed 20 people northwest of Manila, The Associated Press reported

Residents use a small boat for transport through a flooded street Monday, Sept. 23, 2013, in Quezon, Philippines.

The storm had weakened by the time it struck the Chinese coast, though it was still whipping 100 mph winds at residents, CNN reported. The storm faded into a tropical depression Monday afternoon and continued to pass westward through China.

More News: