New York Freight Train Derailment Suspends Service

Part of a train moving garbage from New York City derailed Thursday night, disrupting morning commutes.

By + More

Nearly half of a freight train's cars derailed Thursday night in New York City.

The CSX freight train was headed north and hauling trash when 10 of its 24 cars derailed at about 8:40 p.m. Thursday night. The cause of the derailment is still under investigation, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

[PHOTOS: Freight Train Derails, Explodes in Baltimore]

The train was on Metro-North's Hudson Line, which runs between Manhattan and Poughkeepsie. It derailed while traveling between the Spuyten Duyvil and Marble Hill stations, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

As of Friday morning, the service line remained suspended, and commuters are being told to make alternate travel plans or take different trains. The derailment could have an impact on service for days, The New York Times reported.

The three crew members on the train – an engineer, a conductor and a brakeman – were all unharmed, according to The Associated Press.

A portion of the track where the train derailed is ruined, a MTA spokeswoman told The New York Times, and the tracks are surrounded by rock walls, which will make it difficult to remove the derailed train cars. The line where the train derailed serves 18,000 commuters each day.

"It's not like pickup sticks," the spokeswoman, Marjorie Anders, told The New York Times. "If we're very lucky, it'll be done in the next day or two."

When the train derailed Thursday night, some commuters who were trying to get home told NBC News that they were not given information immediately about what was going on or instructions of what to do.

Fred Rothenberg told NBC that there were no alternate transportation services provided Thursday night.

"We just stood there for a couple of minutes. Then they backed us up to Yankee Stadium and said that was it," Rothenberg said. "They dumped us like a piece of garbage. No options, no buses, nothing."

[READ: In the Night, Train Brings Grief to Quebec Town]

Some commuters were even forced out of the Marble Hill station, located in the Bronx, and were told to wait for buses, none of which could be found, CBS News reported.

"It's not clear at all on where we need to go or what we need to do," Poughkeepsie resident Pauline Moore told CBS. "One officer said there's a bus that goes to Poughkeepsie. I said where's that bus? I don't know of any bus that goes from here to Poughkeepsie."

The MTA runs service in New York and Connecticut, where trains on a line in New Haven were operating at reduced speeds Friday morning due to high temperatures, The Ridgefield Daily Voice reported. Temperatures in New Haven could reach 99 degrees, with a possible heat index of as high as 103, according to the National Weather Service. According to the MTA, commuters could experience delays of up to 15 minutes.


More News: