(Rahmat Gul/AP)

Taliban Attack on NATO Compound Leaves 7 Dead

An attack at a NATO supply compound on Tuesday is the latest in a series of Taliban attacks.

(Rahmat Gul/AP)

An Afghan police officer watches the site of a suicide car bombing, the gate to a NATO compound, in Kabul, Afghanistan, Tuesday, July 2, 2013.

By SHARE

Taliban attackers set off a bomb at a NATO supply company's compound in Afghanistan early on Tuesday, killing at least seven people and injuring several others.

[RELATED: Eight Taliban Fighters Attack Afghan Presidential Palace]

Before dawn on Tuesday, a suicide bomber blew up a small truck outside the compound in Kabul, according to The Los Angeles Times. The explosion killed two nearby Afghan truck drivers. Four Nepalese guards and another Afghan guard were killed amid gunfire when four other suicide bombers ran into the compound. The Afghan Interior Ministry said in a statement that Afghan police arrived about an hour later and killed the four attackers, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The attack targeted the Supreme Group, which provides supplies such as food, water and fuel to several NATO bases, according to the Agence France-Presse.

The explosion also damaged buildings that hold other international logistics companies, said Kabul deputy police chief Mohammad Daud Amin, according to The Los Angeles Times.

[PHOTOS: Fighting Continues in Afghanistan]

The early morning attack is the latest in a series of violent strikes attributed to the Taliban, USA Today reported, causing the death toll among Afghan security forces to rise. Over the last month, nearly 300 security forces have been killed in attacks, the paper said.

Last week, for example, three Afghan guards died when a team of attackers was able to find its way into the presidential palace compound in Kabul. And in mid-June, a suicide bomber set off a car bomb in front of the Afghan Supreme Court in Kabul, which killed 17 people.

Although the Taliban have opened an office in Qatar – which U.S. officials have described as a sign that they may be willing to engage in peace talks – a Taliban spokesman said the group has no intention of ending the violence.

[OPINION: Obama Wrong to Negotiate With Taliban in Afghanistan]

"This (attack) has no link to the peace process," Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told The Associated Press. Attacks "will continue all over the country occupied by the foreigners," he said.

But Jan Eliasson, the United Nations deputy chief, said the violence would not help the Taliban's cause, the AP reported.

"I would hope that there would be steps taken by the leadership of the Taliban to realize that the tool of violence in any case cannot instill confidence in the population," he said. "There's been too much suffering there, and there are too many widows, too many father-and-motherless children in Afghanistan."

 

More News: