Police wait outside of the Westshore Oceanfront Motel, March 12, 2013, in Lincoln City, Ore.

Michael Boysen, Suspected Grandparent Killer, Arrested

Washington man murdered his grandparents after they threw him a 'welcome home' party.

Police wait outside of the Westshore Oceanfront Motel, March 12, 2013, in Lincoln City, Ore.
By + More

The 26-year-old man suspected of slaying his grandparents in Renton, Wash., Friday has been arrested in Lincoln City, Ore., nearly 250 miles south of the crime scene.

Police had been looking for Michael Boysen since Saturday, when the corpses of his grandparents, Norma Taylor, 80, and Robert Taylor, 82, were found at their Seattle-area home.

Boysen was released from prison Friday, and his grandparents spent the day running errands for him before throwing the six-time felon a family "welcome home" party.

Police believe that Boysen killed his grandparents—described by neighbors as gentle, loving Mormons—sometime after guests left. His motive is unclear and police have not disclosed how the couple were murdered, except to say they were not shot.

[EARLIER: Police: 'We Have No Idea Where He Is']

In a frantic search for Boysen, police blasted out the license plate number of his grandparents' car, which was missing, and asked the public for information.

King County Sheriff John Urquhart warned that Boysen had been searching for West Coast gun shows on the Internet, and worried that he may be seeking to arm himself. An organizer of one gun show-hosting organization told Seattle Fox affiliate KCPQ that he eagerly posted Boysen's image on the group's website.

"We want to make sure nobody sells him a weapon," Urquhart said at a Monday press conference. "I can't stress how dangerous this guy is."

[RELATED: U.S. News Reviews Oregon's Best Hotels]

While in prison on burglary charges, Boysen told fellow inmates that he planned to settle scores with his family and with police, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports.

Boysen proved to be his own worst enemy, using his real name when checking into Westshore Oceanfront Suites in Lincoln City, Ore. on Monday. He was arrested Tuesday evening after a 10-hour standoff.

A police spokesperson said he had self-inflicted wounds, likely caused by broken glass, and was initially unconscious. The hotel's manager had reported Boysen's whereabouts to police. He evidently had procured a different vehicle before arriving and was not armed with a gun.

The Seattle Times reports that Boysen told police after his arrest that he is addicted to the painkiller OxyContin.


More News: