1. Although Robert Michael "Mike" Duncan has called Inez, Ky., his home for over 30 years, he was born in Oneida, Tenn.
2. Duncan was 8 years old when his uncle ran for superintendent of schools. Helping his uncle campaign sparked Duncan's interest in politics.
3. In 1971, Duncan graduated from Cumberland College (now known as University of the Cumberlands) with cum laude honors. He received his law degree from University of Kentucky College of Law.
4. Duncan spent his honeymoon at the 1972 Republican National Convention in Miami and in the Bahamas. He met his bride, fellow student Joanne Kirk, at law school.
5. With his wife, Duncan is the principal owner of two community banks with five offices in eastern Kentucky.
6. While interning for the Kentucky General Assembly, Duncan was Richard Nixon's driver when the president was campaigning for re-election in the Bluegrass State.
7. Robert M. Duncan Jr., an assistant U.S. attorney, is Duncan's son. Like his parents, he attended University of Kentucky College of Law.
8. Duncan met former Bush strategist Karl Rove as a college student when both were members of the College Republicans.
9. Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who had been a registered Democrat, credits Duncan for his move to the Republican Party. Grayson considers Duncan one of his mentors.
10. Duncan, who was elected Republican National Committee chairman in 2007, has served in numerous positions with the RNC, including treasurer and regional vice chairman.
- Associated Press
- Appalachia Magazine
- Courier-Journal (Louisville, Ky.)
- Lexington Herald Leader (Kentucky)
- Los Angeles Times