Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee for president, is having a party at his house this weekend, and three potential running mates are invited. The New York Times reported that McCain is hosting Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, and former rival Mitt Romney at his ranch, fueling speculation that they are at the top of his veep list.
McCain's campaign has kept quiet about who is on the list but says it totals about 20 people. We've been keeping tabs on the possibilities.
Here are names we've identified in media reports and links to 10 things you didn't know about them (we'll update the list as we hear of more):
- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour
- North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr
- Florida Gov. Charlie Crist
- Former Arkansas Gov. and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee
- Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.
- Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison
- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal
- Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty
- Former Ohio Rep. and former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Rob Portman
- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell
- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
- Former Massachusetts Gov. and former presidential candidate Mitt Romney
- Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan
- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford
- FedEx CEO Frederick Smith
- GOPAC Chair Michael Steele