Potential for Sandy Scams Prompts Warnings

Associated Press + More


— Run a check on the vehicle identification number (VIN) of any used car or truck you consider buying in the months ahead to see if it has been reported to have been damaged. If it has, don't buy it.

Three free services for consumers to check it are offered by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (http://www.ncib.org ), Carfax (http://www.carfax.com/flood ) and AutoCheck (http://www.autocheck.com/storm ).

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.