For the record, Whispers did not "Salahi" Tuesday night’s White House state dinner with French President Francois Hollande, but we perused the White House pool reports for the night’s best quips. What we found was President Barack Obama embracing France – for its wine – and Vice President Joe Biden being Joe Biden. Here’s a selection:
1. “I was hoping it wasn’t too slutty,” remarked Cosmopolitan editor-in-chief Joanna Coles to reporters about her dress, which was long and black with a leather plate-like apparatus over her bust, keeping it mostly cleavage-free.
2. “Oui, oui, oui,” said MSNBC’s Al Sharpton, demonstrating his command of the French language.
3. “No food is better than Brooklyn,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer's, D-N.Y., giving his take on cuisine. Schumer also offered he did like French food including “the rolls” and steak frites. His wife, Iris, according to the pool, said he certainly looked like he enjoyed the food. (On a side note, we’d happily judge a carb-off between the bagel and the baguette … or the croissant … or the pain au chocolat.)
4. “Hey, stop screwin’ around, she’s my date!” said Vice President Joe Biden, in gentle "back off” toward a reporter trying to converse with “Veep” star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, seated beside him. Biden then threw out a “just kidding,” as his actual date, wife Jill Biden, was also in attendance.
5. “Now it is true that we Americans have grown to love all things French – the films, the food, the wine. Especially the wine,” said Obama during his toast to Hollande.
“But most of all we love our French friends because we’ve stood together for our freedom for more than 200 years,” Obama added before trying a little more of the French language himself.
“A votre sante,” he said, which is the French expression for “cheers.”