With a former head of U.S. Africa Command scheduled to testify at a closed-door hearing Wednesday about the events surrounding last year's attack on an American outpost in Benghazi, former members of the military are demanding the hearings be made public.
OPSEC, a grassroots advocacy organization composed of former members of the intelligence community and special operations forces, has launched an online petition calling for an end to closed-door hearings on the Benghazi attacks.
"Americans have been demanding answers on the lack of a U.S. military response to the attack in Benghazi, but what they're getting in reply are committee room doors slammed in their faces," Scott Taylor, president of OPSEC, said in a press release.
The House Armed Services Committee will hear Gen. Carter Ham's testimony on his knowledge of the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi last September, which resulted in four American deaths. Ham will discuss why military assets were not sent to Benghazi to help the Americans who were under attack.
Since the attacks, conservatives have voiced outrage at the Obama administration over an alleged cover-up and reluctance to label the attacks as "terrorist."
"Closed or classified sessions with [Adm. Michael] Mullen and General Ham are doing nothing to inform the American people's understanding of what happened that night," Taylor said. "It's time for Congress to let the people hear the truth from those directly involved."