The Sunlight Foundation's new site "Politwoops" intends to make politicians more transparent.
But the collection of tweets deleted by politicians reveals America's policymakers to be more bungling than corrupt, more swollen-headed than ill-intentioned.
Whispers has rounded up five of the more entertaining instances in which politicians press the delete button:
1. When they've made a bad joke.
2. When they tweet about birtherism.
3. When they insult two of their colleagues at the same time.
4. When there is a rookie running amok on their Twitter account.
5. When they tweet about themselves in the third person.
Stay tuned -- Sunlight says it plans to keep adding to the collection.