Seizing on suggestions by critics, even liberals, that the president should work on his jobs agenda in Washington instead of jetting off to Martha's Vineyard for an extended holiday, the Republican Party with a vacation-themed way to hit President Obama as the Jimmy Carter and Bill Buckner of the economy.
This morning, the Republican National Committee issued 18 post cards in a fundraising E-mail that feature the president in vacation garb with a stinging quote for Republicans to send to each other. [See political cartoons about President Obama.]
"Right after his tax-payer funded campaign tour of the Midwest this week, President Obama will be flying to Martha's Vineyard for a nine day vacation," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus writes in the E-mail. Before he jets off, send him a postcard. He sure needs a break after a long year criss-crossing the country raising money to save his job—all the while over 14 million Americans are out of work and even more are suffering because of his policies." [Check out editorial cartoons about the economy.]
The White House has shrugged off the attacks on the president's vacation, saying that most Americans don't begrudge him a break with the wife and kids and no matter where he goes, the presidency follows him. [See photos of the Obamas behind the scenes.]
The post cards contrast Obama's vacation with the current state of the economy and unemployment. One even compares Obama to Buckner, the Boston Red Sox first baseman who let a World Series winning out trickle between his legs in the 1986 series won by the New York Mets.
"One local called me the Bill Bucker of the economy. That's good, right?" one post card says beside a picture of beaming Obama. Here are the words from the 18 post cards:
- "Finding a wave in Martha's Vineyard is almost as hard as finding a job."
- "I'd say after 40 fund raisers, I've earned a vacation."
- "Wishing you happy job hunting from sunny Martha's Vineyard."
- "Gotta sharpen my game for the next ESPN special."
- "I hope I bowl higher than my approval rating."
- "Why did that lifeguard call me Jimmy Carter?"
- "I shot a 39 on the front nine--matches my approval rating."
- "It's hot outside, heading to take a double dip."
- "This $50,000 per week estate is wicked awesome."
- "One local called me the Bill Buckner of the economy. That's good, right?"
- "No Joe, don't touch anything while I'm gone."
- "Low polls, high unemployment...life's a beach."
- "On second thought, maybe I was wrong about Slurpees."
- "Great thing about vacations...don't need a plan."
- "Wow, I'm eligible for an upgrade. Boy, I needed that."
- "I'll pivot to that whole jobs thing...next week."
- "Raining in Martha's Vineyard. Must be Bush's fault."
- "Divots: They're shovel ready."