This morning's top stories:
- Thousands gathered in Blacksburg, Va., yesterday to remember the 32 students and faculty slain by gunman Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old student at Virginia Tech.
- Meanwhile, the horrific shooting has vaulted the issue of gun control back onto the national platform.
- Two deadly explosions in Baghdad killed 15 and wounded 19, the AP reports.
- The mayor of Nagasaki died early today after being shot by a suspected gunman. Gun violence is typically very low in Japan, Reuters reports.
- The car carrying New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine that crashed last week, critically injuring him, was traveling 91 mph, according to police.
- An analysis of Federal Election Commission reports by the Associated Press turned up the fact that the John Edwards campaign dropped $800 for two haircuts for the candidate by a celebrity stylist in Beverly Hills.