Former Vice President Dick Cheney has faulted the Obama administration for major security lapses and bad judgments in coping with the recent attacks in Benghazi as Cheney tries to resurrect the argument that President Obama is weak on defense.
Cheney, one of the leading hawks in the Republican party, told Fox News Monday night that the Benghazi attacks, in which four Americans were killed last Sept. 11, amounted to "one of the worst incidents that frankly I can recall in my career."
He said administration officials "lied" about what happened as part of an effort to create a "false image" that just because terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden had been killed earlier, the terrorist threat had markedly diminished.
Cheney, a former defense secretary, said the administration ignored repeated warnings that a terrorist attack might be imminent and didn't take adequate precautions to protect American officials in Libya or have sufficient force "ready to go" in case of an attack. "They tried to cover it up by creating a false story," Cheney said.
Ken Walsh covers the White House and politics for U.S. News. He writes the daily blog "Ken Walsh's Washington" for usnews.com, and "The Presidency" column for the U.S. News Weekly. He is the author of the new book "Prisoners of the White House: The Isolation of America's Presidents and the Crisis of Leadership." Ken Walsh can be reached at email@example.com and followed on Facebook and Twitter.