Libyan Terror Suspect Arrives in New York for Trial

U.S. commandos snatched Abu Anas al-Libi, wanted for the 1998 embassy bombings.

Gunmen in a three-car convoy seized Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, known by his alias Anas al-Libi, an al-Qaeda leader connected to the 1998 embassy bombings in eastern Africa and wanted by the U.S. for more than a decade outside his house in Tripoli, Libya on Oct. 5, 2013.
By SHARE

The Libyan man snatched from his Tripoli home by U.S. commandos last week is now in New York after spending a week under interrogation on a U.S. Navy vessel.

[READ: Capture of Terror Suspect in Libya Legal, Kerry Says]

Abu Anas al-Libi will likely be arraigned Tuesday for charges in connection with the U.S. embassy bombings in Africa in 1998, U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara told CBS News over the weekend. Al-Libi had been under federal indictment in New York for more than 10 years.

A team of U.S. Army commandos, believed to be from the secretive Delta Force, captured al-Libi from Tripoli on Oct. 5 and transported him to the USS San Antonio. CBS cites an unnamed source who says FBI agents accompanied al-Libi to Stewart Air Force base, just outside New York City.

The U.S. government has held terrorism suspects aboard U.S. Navy ships before to avoid restrictions that accompany interrogations on U.S. soil. There are 164 remaining detainees at the prison at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba, which serves as the U.S.' most high profile offshore facility for such detainees.

One of those in custody is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who the Obama administration also sought to prosecute in New York City. Those plans were scrapped following large-scale uproar.

Al-Libi, believed to be 49, was indicted for his alleged participation in the August 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya. More than 200 people died in the attacks and 5,000 were wounded. The U.S. government put a $5 million reward on his head.

The family of al-Libi, also known as Nazih Abdul Hamed al-Raghie, has claimed he is no longer a member of al-Qaida, reports CNN, and he has been living a normal life while seeking a job with the Libyan oil ministry.

[WORLD REPORT: Libya, Somalia and the Shift Towards Special Forces]

Obama has faced criticism from conservatives, such as Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., over his decision not to send any further detainees to Guantanamo.

Sen. Patrick Leay, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Monday that the decision to try al-Libi in a civilian court shows "that the United States acts out of strength and not out of fear."

" I commend the intelligence and law enforcement officials who have worked for more than a decade to bring al-Libi to face justice. The indefinite detention of al-Libi at Guantanamo would have been unnecessary and unwise," he said. "President Obama, Attorney General Holder, and the administration's national security team should be applauded for their commitment to our national security and the rule of law."

More News: