The House voted to reinstate the law that gives burial funds to fallen soldiers' families Wednesday, after a controversy involving how the shutdown was affecting the dispersal of the funds drew nationwide public outrage. The vote came unanimously, 425-0, and families who had originally been told they would not receive funds for the burial of their loved one were able to receive them as they flew into Dover Air Force Base.
President Barack Obama also pushed his administration to get the families the monetary aid they needed to make preparations for the soldiers.
"The president expects this to be fixed today," said Jay Carney, in a White House press conference.
NBC News reported Wednesday that the Pentagon had agreed to reimburse Fisher House, who had already planned to pay the $100,000 "death gratuity" that the Defense Department would normally pay, as soon as the shutdown was over.
"The Fisher House Foundation will provide the families of the fallen with the benefits they so richly deserve," said Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a press release.
"The Department has no higher priority than taking care of our service members and their families," he said.
Hagel also traveled to Dover, Del., this morning to be with the families receiving the bodies of the four soldiers killed.
Still, family members of the soldiers have said they are disgusted over the fact that the funds for families of murdered soldiers were even cut at all, while Congress is still being paid a week into the government shutdown.
"If Congress were trapped in a car that sunk down in a river, I would swim to the window, and I would look them all in the eye and say, 'Suck water,'" Randall Patterson, the father of one of the fallen soldiers, told NBC News.
- Pentagon Wants More Workers Exempt From Furloughs
- Defense Secretary Hagel Reduces Civilian Furloughs to 6 Days
- Germany Hands Over Military Base to Afghans