The Republican National Committee is planning to boycott NBC and CNN for 2016 election primary debates unless the two networks cancel their planned productions on Hillary Clinton, the group announced Monday.
CNN is planning a documentary on the former first lady, senator and secretary of state, while NBC is producing a miniseries on Clinton.
"It's appalling to know executives at major networks like NBC and CNN who have donated to Democrats and Hillary Clinton have taken it upon themselves to be Hillary Clinton's campaign operatives," said Reince Priebus, chairman of the RNC, in a release. "If they have not agreed to pull this programming prior to the start of the RNC's summer meeting on August 14, I will seek a binding vote stating that the RNC will neither partner with these networks in 2016 primary debates nor sanction primary debates they sponsor."
Priebus sent letters to Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, and Jeff Zucker, president of CNN Worldwide, informing them of his plans. Priebus said the programming amounts to "political ads masked as unbiased entertainment."
Following NBC's announcement of the miniseries last week, NBC political reporter Chuck Todd made it clear his coverage would be in no way influenced by the decision.
"Just want to get this out of the way now: NBC News has nothing to do w/Clinton mini-series on NBC entertainment," he said on Twitter. "So save your complaints."
Clinton, who has yet to announce that she's running for president in 2016, currently leads all her potential Republican opponents in polling.
The move by Priebus will surely gin up the conservative base, which already dislikes Hollywood's liberal reputation, and help raise funds. But it remains to be seen whether or not his proposed boycott would pass muster in an RNC vote or matter much even if it were carried out.
The Democratic National Committee did not immediately respond for a request for comment.