Cory Monteith Died of Heroin and Alcohol Overdose

The 'Glee' actor was found dead in his hotel room Saturday.

Cory Monteith was found dead in a Vancover hotel room Saturday.

Cory Monteith was found dead in a Vancover hotel room Saturday.

By SHARE

Cory Monteith died of "a mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol," the British Colombia Coroner's Service said Tuesday. The 31-year-old actor was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room Saturday.

[PHOTOS: Remembering 'Glee' Star Cory Monteith, 1982-2013]

Monteith was known to have suffered from drug abuse problems. He told Parade Magazine in 2011 he started experimenting with drugs in his teens. "Anything and everything, as much as possible…, I had a serious problem," he told the magazine, describing his first stint at rehab when he was 19.

Monteith found fame on the Fox hit "Glee" where he played a football player on the high school glee team. News that he was headed for a second stint in rehab earlier this year was met with some surprise. After one month of treatment, he was released in April and those close to Monteith had said he was doing well.

[READ: Cory Monteith's Death Highlights Addiction 'Crisis']

He was reportedly last photographed dining with friends in Vancouver Friday night and security footage shows him returning to his hotel room alone. Heroin has claimed the lives of other celebrities including John Belushi, Sid Vicious and River Phoenix. Before returning to rehab this year, Monteith had filmed a movie in which he played a drug addict.

 

More News: