Updated: AP has reported that the surviving Boston bomb suspect has been identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass.
Boston woke up Friday to news that one of the two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing had been killed in a standoff with police, while a massive manhunt ensued for the second suspect.
The city and the suburb of Watertown, Mass. were essentially in a lockdown, with the Boston T transit system shut and schools closed. The shootout occurred in the suburb of Watertown, according to various media reports, in the early hours of the morning following a robbery and a car chase that began in Cambridge. There were reports that some police personnel may have been wounded, perhaps fatally.
Reports were changing by the minute as heavily armed police and federal officials went door to door in Watertown.
The dead suspect, identified in video released by the FBI wearing a black hat, was not identified. The second suspect, who wears a white hat in the video, was still at large as of early Friday morning.
Police said they were searching for a "terrorist" who posed a grave threat to individuals, according to news reports. Some media outlets reported the first suspect may have had explosives on his body when he was killed and there was some confusion as to whether he was killed by gunshots or an explosion.
Residents of Watertown were warned not to leave their houses and businesses told employees to stay home and not come to work.
- FBI Scolds Media for Falsely Reporting an Arrest
- Obama Denounces 'Small, Stunted' Culprits
- Westboro Church Celebrates Bombing, Plans to Picket Funerals