Special Forces Soldier, Son of Fallen Firefighter, Among 9/11 Hearing Witnesses

Among the family present is a Special Forces soldier, whose father died in the World Trade Center.

The elder Bucca was the namesake of Camp Bucca, an outpost used by the U.S. military to house detainees in Iraq from 2003 to 2009.
By + More

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba—A special forces sergeant whose father, a New York City firefighter, died in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks is among the family members of victims present in a Guantanamo Bay court proceeding this week.

Sgt. 1st Class Ronald L. Bucca sat with his mother in the courtroom observation gallery Tuesday to witness the hearings for five men accused of planning and executing the attacks. Dressed in his dress blue Army Service Uniform with green beret tucked under his right epaulette, Bucca wore a small "343" pin on his left breast pocket, in honor of the number of firefighters who died at the World Trade Center.

[ALSO: Guantanamo Judge Mutes Mics After Defense's Spying Claims]

Bucca's father, New York City fire marshal Ronald P. Bucca, died in the World Trade Center's south tower after reaching the 78th floor on foot in an attempt to rescue people trapped inside. The elder Bucca was also a Special Forces veteran, and was the namesake of Camp Bucca, an outpost used by the U.S. military to house detainees in Iraq from 2003 to 2009.

LISTEN: Reporter Paul Shinkman discusses the trial on WTOP.com Tuesday.


Bucca received his own green beret denoting completion of the Special Forces Qualification Course in 2008, according to the Fayetteville Observer. Eight members of the New York City Fire Department's Bureau of Fire Investigation were present at the ceremony to show support for the Bucca family.

[PHOTOS: The 10th Anniversary of 9/11]

There are a total of six victim family members present at Guantanamo Bay this week, says Pentagon spokesman Army Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale, along with two others viewing the proceedings from Fort Hamilton in New York City.

Other family members at victim include a women wearing an American Airlines flight attendant's uniform, accompanying at 14-year-old boy.

More family members had originally planned on attending the proceedings, but were held up in New York due to weather.

More News: