Marine Denies Firing at Women and Children in Haditha

Associated Press + More

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine facing sentencing over one of the worst attacks on civilians by U.S. troops during the Iraq War told a judge Tuesday in a surprise development that he never fired his weapon at any women or children.

The statement by Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich came a day after he pleaded guilty to a minor charge of negligent dereliction of duty as part of a deal that will mean little or no jail time.

"The truth is: I never fired any weapon at any women or children that day," Wuterich said in a statement during his sentencing hearing.

Wuterich also said in his statement that his guilty plea should not suggest that he believes his men behaved badly or that they acted in any way that was dishonorable to their country.

Wuterich, 31, led the squad that killed 24 unarmed Iraqis in assaults in the town of Haditha in 2005. As part of a deal that stopped his manslaughter trial Monday, Wuterich faces no more than three months in confinement for the lesser charge.

[Debate Club: Was The Iraq War Worth It?]

"In no way should my acceptance of responsibility ever be considered an indictment of the Marines or the commanders," Wuterich said in his first statement to the court since his case went to trial earlier this month.

He also spoke to the family members of the Iraqi victims.

"I wish to assure you that on that day, it was never my intention to harm you or your families," he said. "I know that you are the real victims of Nov. 19, 2005."

In Iraq, residents of the Euphrates river town expressed shock and outrage at the plea deal. A survivor of the killings, Awis Fahmi Hussein, showed his scars from being hit by a bullet in the back.

"I was expecting that the American judiciary would sentence this person to life in prison and that he would appear and confess in front of the whole world that he committed this crime, so that America could show itself as democratic and fair," he said.

Prosecutors had implicated Wuterich in 19 of the 24 deaths.

A former squad mate testified during the trial that he joined Wuterich in firing in a dark back bedroom of one of the homes where he saw small silhouettes. Later, when former Cpl. Stephen Tatum returned, he said he found woman and children had been killed.

Wuterich began his statement in court by telling the family members of victims, "Words cannot express my sorrow for the loss of your loved one. I know there is nothing I can say to ease your pain. I wish to assure you that on that day, it was never my intention (to) harm you or your families. I know that you are the real victims of Nov. 19, 2005."

He went on to say he went to Iraq to do his duty, serve his country and do the best job he could.

"When my Marines and I cleared those houses that day, I responded to what I perceived as a threat and my intention was to eliminate that threat in order to keep the rest of my Marines alive," he said. "So when I told my team to shoot first and ask questions later, the intent wasn't that they would shoot civilians, it was that they would not hesitate in the face of the enemy."

Military prosecutors worked for more than six years to bring Wuterich to trial on manslaughter charges that could have sent him away to prison for life.

But only weeks after the long-awaited trial started, they offered Wuterich the deal that stopped the proceedings.

Wuterich now faces no more than three months in confinement.

[See pictures of soldiers returning home from Iraq.]

It was a stunning outcome for the last defendant in the case once compared with the My Lai massacre in Vietnam. The seven other Marines initially charged were exonerated or had their cases dropped.

Military judge Lt. Col. David Jones began hearing arguments from both sides Tuesday at Camp Pendleton before making a sentencing recommendation for Wuterich that will be considered by the commander of Marine Corps Forces Central Command.

Legal experts said the case was fraught with errors made by investigators and the prosecution that let it drag on for years. The prosecution was also hampered by squad mates who acknowledged they had lied to investigators initially and later testified in exchange for having their cases dropped, bringing into question their credibility.