1. What is the earliest day in May that Memorial Day can be observed?
B. May 25
2. What was the holiday now known as Memorial Day originally called?
D. Decoration Day
3. Memorial Day started out as a holiday honoring those who died in what war?
C. The Civil War
4. In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson designated what small town as the official birthplace of Memorial Day?
A. Waterloo, N.Y.
5. True or false: The holiday for the past 100 years has always fallen on a Monday.
False. In 1971, a law moved it from May 30 to the last Monday in May.
6. What flower is traditionally worn as a sign of remembrance on Memorial Day?
D. Red poppy
7. True or false: Under federal law, the American flag is to be displayed at half-staff until noon on Memorial Day.
8. At what time of day is a national moment of remembrance observed?
C. 3 p.m.
9. Who has introduced a bill every year since 1989 to set the holiday as May 30?
B. Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii)
10. What sporting event has taken place on or around Memorial Day since 1911?
D. Indianapolis 500