1. Donald J. Trump was born on June 14, 1946, in Queens, N.Y., one of five children to Fred Trump, a real estate developer, and Mary MacLeod Trump, who had immigrated to the United States from Scotland.
2. Trump, who his father called "a pretty rough fellow when he was small," attended a military school.
3. He attended Fordham University before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. He graduated in 1968.
4. For five years, Trump worked for his father, who owned about $250 million (in today's dollars) worth of apartment complexes in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. He then entered the Manhattan real estate market himself, scoring his first major property deal in 1974.
5. He married Ivana Zelnickova, a former Olympic skier and model, in 1977. The couple had three children and split up in 1990.
6. In 1983, Trump Tower on New York's Fifth Avenue was completed. The 657-foot building has condos and offices. Trump is also part owner of the Miss America Organization. By 2011, Trump's net worth was $2.4 billion, according to Forbes.
7. Trump published his first of several books, The Art of the Deal, in 1987.
8. Trump married Marla Maples in 1993. They have one daughter and divorced in 1999. He married Slovenian model Melania Knauss in 2005, and they have one son.
9. In 2004, Trump produced and starred in the first season of the reality TV show The Apprentice, now in its 11th season.
10. In 2011, he became the face of the birther movement by questioning President Obama's citizenship.