1. In what year did the first official Cherry Blossom Festival take place?
2. Which first lady planted the first cherry tree in Washington, D.C.?
B. Helen Taft
3. True or false: The oldest cherry trees on the National Mall predate the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials.
True. They were planted in 1912; the Lincoln Memorial was completed in 1922; construction on the Jefferson Memorial began in 1939.
4. The original cherry trees were a gift to the United States from what nation?
5. About how many cherry trees are there on the National Mall?
6. True or false: Washington has more cherry trees than any other city in the United States.
False. Macon, Ga., has the most.
7. Which of the following years did not have a Cherry Blossom Festival?
A. 1944. The Festival was suspended from 1942 through 1946 because of WWII.
8. How has the cherry blossom queen been selected every year since 1948?
B. The spin of a wheel
9. Which of the following events is not part of the annual festivities?
D. An Easter egg hunt
10. For about how long does a typical cherry blossom remain in bloom?
A. One week