1. Scott Brown was born in Kittery, Maine, on Sept. 12, 1959, and split his time growing up between Wakefield and Newburyport, both in Massachusetts.
2. His parents, C. Bruce Brown and Judith Brown, divorced when he was a year old and have each remarried three times.
3. When he was in his early teens, Brown was arrested for walking out of a store with stolen records in his overalls. A judge in the Salem District Court let him go after he wrote a 1,500-word essay on the incident. He says he's never stolen anything since.
4. He was senior cocaptain of the Wakefield High School basketball team and his league's MVP. In college, his talent for shooting earned him the nickname "Downtown Scotty Brown."
5. He earned a B.A. from Tufts University in 1981 and a law degree from Boston College in 1985.
6. As a 22-year-old law student, he earned $1,000 for posing nude in Cosmopolitan's 1982 "America's Sexiest Man" photo spread. He used the money for tuition.
7. He's been a member of the Massachusetts National Guard since 1979 and is now ranked lieutenant colonel in the Judge Advocate General Corps.
8. He's been married to Gail Huff, a reporter for WCVB-TV in Boston, for 23 years. Their older daughter, Ayla, was an American Idol semifinalist and is now on a basketball scholarship at Boston College. Their younger daughter, Arianna, is a freshman pre-med student at Syracuse University.
9. He's a member of the Bay State Triathlon Team.
10. Since he began his career in public service as a selectman in his hometown of Wrentham, Mass., Brown has won 10 consecutive elections.
- The New York Times
- The Washington Post
- The Boston Globe