1. Thomas Dale DeLay was born on April 8, 1947, in Laredo, Texas. He spent most of his childhood in Venezuela where his father worked in the petroleum and natural gas industry until his family had enough money to move back to Texas.
2. He married his high school sweetheart, Christine, in 1967.
3. DeLay graduated from the University of Houston in 1970, receiving his B.S. in biology. He was previously expelled for vandalism as a pre-med student at Baylor University after he was caught painting the school's colors, green and gold, onto the buildings of the rival college, Texas A&M University.
4. After college, he worked for the pesticide maker Redwood Chemical. He then started his own exterminating business, Albo Pest Control.
5. DeLay began serving in the Texas Legislature in 1978. His drinking habits and reputation as a playboy earned him the nickname "Hot Tub Tom."
6. In 1984, DeLay was elected to represent the 22nd District of Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives.
7. He was elected majority whip in 1994 and was referred to as "the Hammer" for the way he attacked his legislative agenda and his congressional opponents.
8. A series of corruption allegations, stemming from a long-running campaign finance investigation into the 2002 Texas legislative races, forced DeLay to resign from his post as majority leader in September 2005. The following April, he decided to leave Congress altogether.
9. In 2007, he coauthored the New York Times bestseller No Retreat, No Surrender: One American's Fight.
10. DeLay was chosen to join 15 celebrities as a contestant for the ninth season of the ABC show Dancing With the Stars.
- No Retreat, No Surrender: One American's Fight
- The New York Times
- The Texas Observer