1. Bobby Bright was born July 21, 1952, in Midland City, Ala.
2. A fourth-generation Alabamian, Bright was the 13th of 14 children born to a sharecropper.
3. As a child, he picked cotton, dug peanuts, and tended pigs, cows, and chickens.
4. He got his first paying job at 11—earning $1 a day—when he went to work at his brother's heating and air conditioning business.
5. Of all the children, Bobby was the only one to graduate from college: Auburn, in 1975. He received a master's from Troy University in 1977 and a J.D. from Faulkner University in 1982.
6. Bright had a law practice in Montgomery and was chief counsel to the Alabama Department of Corrections.
7. He was elected in 1999 to his first of three terms as mayor of Montgomery.
8. Bright is the first Democrat to represent Alabama's Second District since 1962.
9. The last serious Democratic run at the seat had come in 1992 when George Wallace Jr. made a bid.
10. Bright is married to former District Judge Lynn Bright. The couple has three adult children, Neal, Lisa, and Katie.
- Bright for Congress
- Montgomery Advertiser
- Roll Call
- The Dothan Eagle
- Associated Press