Current Voter Registration (as of 09/09/2008)
- Democratic: 265,026
- Republican: 270,958
- Independent: 332,684
- Incumbent: John Sununu (Republican) won his party's primary with 88.7 percent of the vote.
- Challenger: Jeanne Shaheen (Democrat) won her party's primary with 88.3 percent of the vote.
- Other items on the New Hampshire ballot: U.S. president, U.S. House of Representatives (two seats), and governor.
Fundraising and Spending (Through 10/15/2008)
- Total Contributions: $6,857,591
- Money Spent: $5,170,286
- Cash on Hand: $2,425,044
- Total Contributions: $14,237,476
- Money Spent: $11,609,286
- Cash on Hand: $2,628,186
New Hampshire Demographics
- Total Population: 1,315,828
- Female: 50.8%
- Male: 49.2%
- White 93.1%
- Black, or African-American 1.3%
- Asian 2.2%
- Hispanic, or Latino 2.5%
- Two or more races 1%
- *Total may not add up to 100 percent because of census tracking methods.
- Median Age: 39.8 years
2002 Senate Election
- John Sununu (Republican) 227,229 51%
- Jeanne Shaheen (Democrat) 207,478 47%
Sources: Associated Press, New Hampshire secretary of state, Federal Election Commission, U.S. Census Bureau, 2007 American Community Survey The Almanac of American Politics
Three Things You Didn't Know About New Hampshire Senate Elections
1. The closest Senate election in history took place in New Hampshire in 1974. After two recounts, Republican Louis C. Wyman led Democrat John A. Durkin by only two votes—110,926 to 110,924. The election was sent to the U.S. Senate, but, after 41 roll-call votes, the Senate declared that it was unable to decide the contest. A new election was held in 1975—which Durkin won easily.
2. Since 1913, when Senate elections became determined by popular vote, New Hampshire residents have elected only three Democrats to represent them in the U.S. Senate—Thomas McIntyre, Fred Brown, and John Durkin.
3. Born Sept. 10, 1964, John Sununu is currently the youngest member of the U.S. Senate.
Sources: Congressional Quarterly's Guide to U.S. Elections, Congress A to Z, Associated Press