U.S. News & World Report, the leading authority in educational rankings, has an immediate opening for a data research analyst in its Washington, D.C. office. The responsibilities for this position include:
- Assist in the analytical and survey research tasks needed to produce all the U.S. News ranking and data projects that relate to education including the annual Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools, Best High Schools and Best Online Degree Program rankings working with the Director of Data Research and others on the Education Data Team as well as those at U.S. News who work on the Education section of usnews.com.
- Work on projects that relate to all aspects of developing international and regional higher education comparisons.
- Work with U.S. News programmers in the calculation of and the output of the various Education rankings and the implementation of the online statistical surveys for all the U.S. News education rankings projects.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the statistical and peer assessment survey instruments needed to produce the Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools and other Education related data projects.
- Meet specific project deadlines and timelines set by the Director of Data Research and others on the Education Data Team as well as those at U.S. News who work on the Education section of usnews.com.
- Participate in the team that produces Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools, Best High Schools, Best Online Degree programs and other education rankings and data projects for the usnews.com website.
- Communicate and meet with representatives of colleges, graduate schools and other education institutions officials on issues that relate to any of the education ranking done by U.S. News. This may involve travel and public speaking at higher education conferences.
- Respond to internal data inquiries relating to all of the education rankings.
- Assist in tasks related to production of annual print Best Colleges and Best Graduate Schools guidebooks and other related print products.
- A strong desire to work on and develop academic rankings.
- Survey Research background required.
- Advanced statistical analysis skills-SPSS required.
- Experiencing in higher education related research is desired.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and Access.
- Experience working with large data sets. Knowledge of SQL is desired.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively with team members and with technical personnel.
Please send résumé, references, and salary requirements to: Robert Morse, Director of Data Research, U.S. News & World Report, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include Data Research Analyst Position in the subject line of the e-mail message.
Social Media Coordinator
U.S. News & World Report is looking for an energetic social media coordinator to work with various departments to grow US News’ presence on social media platforms. The ideal candidate will be passionate about news and social media and will be an evangelist to writers and editors. The social media coordinator will work with the verticals to enhance their social media outreach and evaluate their efforts on the various platforms. S/he will be responsible for providing training and best practices to writers and editors and keeping abreast of changes in the social media landscape. Duties will include:
- Developing platform specific best practices and training social media team members.
- Reviewing analytics to improve effectiveness of posting (e.g., determine type/time/frequency of posting).
- Evaluating current social media efforts and making recommendations on optimization.
- Working with the PR department on social media strategy surrounding conferences and events.
- Backup posting to social media platforms as needed.
- 2+ years of relevant social media experience on platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.
- Demonstrated understanding of social media metrics.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Preferred: web design or development experience.
- Some night/weekend work may be required.
Please send résumé, references and salary requirements to Stephanie Salmon, VP Data & Information Strategy, email@example.com
Please include Social Media Coordinator in the subject line.
U.S. News & World Report, the leading authority in educational rankings, has an opening for a full-time Data Collector in its Washington, D.C. office.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Review, correct, and verify statistical survey data submitted by colleges and universities
- Assist in various tasks involving the data analysis for the Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools, Best Online Programs and other educational rankings done by U.S. News
- Assist with data collection projects and the development of the Education Section of www.usnews.com
- Knowledge of survey research
- Microsoft Office, including basic data entry and spreadsheet skills
- Have the ability to meet deadlines and be extremely detail-oriented
- Possess excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Basic knowledge of database structure a plus
There is no writing involved in this position.
Please send resume, references, and salary requirements to:
Diane Tolis, Data Collection Manager, U.S. News & World Report
Please include Data Collector Position in the subject line of the email message.
U.S.News & World Report is hiring a Yield Manager. This position will be responsible for growing revenue generated from unsold inventory by developing advertising partnerships that are a good fit for our brand.
This position requires a firm understanding of the online advertising ecosystem, experience with ad technology (DFP), and strong data analysis skills.
You will report performance to various groups within the company (management, sales, ad ops, etc) and work closely with them to make sure they have the data they need to make informed decisions.
The ideal candidate should be able to work independently and juggle multiple tasks without losing sight of small details.
- Oversee all day-to-day yield management of indirectly sold inventory including, networks, exchanges and RTB partners.
- Maximize revenue of unsold inventory while protecting the overall quality of our site.
- Manage partner relationships – find new partners, optimize existing relationships, cancel partners that aren’t performing, negotiate and sign deals.
- Deploy, monitor and optimize indirect campaigns in ad server DFP.
- Monitor and report on all programmatic advertiser channels.
- Work with platform partners to test ad tags, traffic and implement programmatic deals.
- Coordinate forecasting, planning and budgeting process used within sales.
- Submit billing reports to finance.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent experience.
- 2-4 years of work experience in online advertising.
- Past experience with Dart For Publishers (DFP) is a plus.
- Solid understanding of digital advertising and current industry trends.
- Experience with campaign optimization and programmatic advertising is a plus.
- Competent in excel (pivot tables).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Independent, self-motivated and curious.
Please apply by email, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Yield Manager’ in the subject line of your email.
U.S. News & World Report is looking for several front-end developers of varying degrees of experience to join a small but growing team that develops and maintains most of the custom applications for the company. These positions require expert-level knowledge of frontend development, web standards, and cross-browser development. The winning candidates will join our team creating web applications that reach millions of visitors monthly, refining their craft while working alongside our passionate and friendly team.
- Working with editors, web producers, graphic artists, and programmers to create innovative online features and interactive tools.
- Developing web-based applications, components, and visualizations from conceptual page plans in Photoshop.
- Crafting flexible templates for custom Python-based applications.
- Integrating and troubleshooting code from third-party content and e-commerce partners.
Applicants will be required to provide code demonstrating a clear separation of content, presentation, and behavior.
Mandatory skills (you’ll need to be strong in these areas from day one on the job):
- A very strong understanding of CSS.
- A very strong understanding of HTML, including HTML5 and XHTML.
- A good eye for layout and typography; you won’t be designing, but you will be tweaking.
Pluses that will make you a stronger candidate:
- Experience working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience with HTML mobile application development.
- Experience with one or more rich-client frameworks, such as Backbone, Ember, Knockout, etc.
- Experience with client-side benchmarking and performance tuning.
- Server-side templating languages like TAL, Jinja, Velocity, Twig, etc.
- Integration of web applications with SQL databases.
- Version control/source control systems.
These are full-time, permanent positions. Work will be done onsite at our offices in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC, using state-of-the-art Macintosh desktops with Adobe Creative Suite and your favorite editor. Occasional night and weekend work required.
The USNews.com tech team is a made up of very smart people who are passionate about Web development. The ideal candidate will be able to contribute immediately and will both learn from us and teach us a few new things.
Compensation based on experience.
Please apply by email, to email@example.com. Please include ‘Front-End Developer’ in the subject line of your email. Send résumé in plaintext. No attachments please.
The News section at U.S. News & World Report is seeking an online news editor to help manage our daily news flow. This role includes directing and editing the daily output of a staff of full-time writers, interns and occasional freelancers, as well as coordinating with other editors and web producers responses to breaking news events with video, live blogs and other forms of news content. Strong editing, assigning and newsroom management skills are necessary as is the ability to work under pressure with grace and humor. This editor will work as part of a team and flexibility is essential. A broad knowledge of the news environment and topics ranging from politics to pop culture and everything in between is required. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
- Help assemble the daily output of the news team, working in concert with other editors and web producers.
- Edit daily online content.
- Work closely with writers in fleshing out story ideas, planning daily budgets and keeping an eye on news wires and other sources of news content.
- Assisting in the development of new products for the news channel.
- Excellent editing skills and a minimum of 2 years post-college experience in daily online news writing and editing.
- Experience with content management systems and other forms of content distribution, including live blogs, video, etc.
- Solid understanding of SEO concepts, web analytics (Google Analytics or Omniture) and social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work on deadline, multitask and be flexible.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and 401(k) plans. Applicants must provide a cover letter, resume and 3 writing/editing samples. Please email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “News Editor” in the subject line.
Editorial Web Producer
The News section at U.S. News & World Report seeks a full-time web producer who will help manage the News and Special Reports pages on usnews.com. Responsibilities include producing and publishing daily content (articles, blog post, photos, related content) and assisting with the development and management of new editorial products and projects. This Web Producer will also promote News and Special Reports content to other media outlets and via social media.
The candidate should be savvy with SEO, familiar with social media platforms, have experience with content management systems, and be able to juggle myriad responsibilities in a fast-paced news environment. The Web Producer will also have opportunities to write original content. Flexibility around schedules and hours is a must. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
- Produce and publish daily content (articles, blog posts, photos, related content).
- Assist with the development and management of new editorial products and projects.
- Promoting News and Special Reports content to other media outlets and via social media.
- Minimum of two years of experience in an online news content environment.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines while managing several tasks simultaneously.
- Technical proficiency in HTML, Photoshop, and Web production. Knowledge of CSS style and simple programming a plus.
- A firm grasp of current events and strong editorial judgment.
- Ability to make strategic recommendations to management and to collaborate with editorial, design and technical teams to bring projects to completion.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated understanding or an interest in social media.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- College degree or equivalent.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and 401(k) plans. Applicants must provide at least two references and two or three clips (or links to work published online) in addition to résumé and cover letter. Please send all materials to email@example.com and include “Editorial Web Producer/News” in the subject field.
Intern – Public Relations
U.S. News & World Report seeks a college graduate for a six-month internship in public relations and communications in our Washington, D.C. office. The primary duty of this full-time (37.5 hours a week), hourly paid position is to support the public relations manager in executing PR efforts across the company, including but not limited to social media strategy, award submissions, corporate announcements, and rankings product releases.
This is a great opportunity for a motivated individual looking to grow public relations and communications experience. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent writing and communications skills and the ability to multi-task. He or she must also be extremely organized and, as a member of a small team, willing to work independently and take on other duties as assigned.
- Strong research and writing skills
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- College degree or equivalent
- Daily monitoring of press clippings, industry news, and social media platforms
- Building and updating media contact databases
- Developing the Press Room on usnews.com
- Researching/drafting press releases, fact sheets, and awards submissions
Applicants must provide three writing samples and two references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please submit applications to Education-PR@usnews.com with the subject: Public Relations Intern.
Health Data Analyst – Washington, D.C.
U.S. News & World Report, publisher of Best Hospitals, Best Children’s Hospitals and other web-based decision support tools for people facing complex choices, seeks a statistical programmer/data analyst skilled at working with health data. You will join an entrepreneurial health ratings and rankings team intent on developing new ways to evaluate hospitals, doctors, health plans and other healthcare institutions.
You’ll work well on interdisciplinary teams, taking advantage of strategic partnerships and expanding access to health data to build new portals that provide consumers with information they’ll use to make informed healthcare choices. You’re intrigued by the prospect of working with journalists skilled at drawing on data for reporting and analysis.
You’re part database architect and part problem solver. You have strong data analysis skills, know how to clean dirty data and are proficient with statistical packages such as SPSS, R and SAS and SQL database managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, or related field with training in quantitative and qualitative analysis and research methods
- Two years of professional experience in a statistical analysis role
- Experience in dealing with health data a major plus
Applicants must provide at least two references in addition to a resume and cover letter. Please send all materials to Angelica Sereda at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Front-End Developer – Autos/Travel
U.S. News & World Report is looking for a Front-End Developer to join our growing Autos and Travel verticals. Be a member of a small team working on products that millions of Internet users rely on every month. You will work closely with our existing team to create, implement, upgrade, optimize, and test features and projects for two consumer-facing websites:
If you are passionate about working on a team dedicated to building the best products and user experience, then we would love to hear from you.
- Three+ years experience with Python.
- Basic knowledge and experience with SQL.
- A/B Testing and Google Analytics knowledge.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Cross-browser and cross-platform testing experience.
- Knowledgeable on web page performance practices.
- Basic understanding of SEO practices.
Other desirable skills:
- Experience with Django, MySQL, Eclipse, jQuery.
- Experience with mobile web development.
- Experience with Linux/Unix.
- Experience with version control.
- Able to do basic graphic design.
Compensation based on experience.
Please email your resume to email@example.com. Please include “R&R Front-End Developer” in the subject line of your email.
The Senior Analyst will work as part of a new team within U.S. News launching an analytics platform centered on the data behind our Best Hospitals rankings. The platform will allow hospitals to view the data behind the rankings and perform competitive intelligence and benchmarking.
This hands-on role is ideal for someone with strong analytical talents, personal drive and entrepreneurial attitude. As with any start-up, the Senior Analyst will have the opportunity for exposure and growth in many parts of the business: marketing, sales, product development, finance and operations.
- Outreach: Interact with Hospitals to drive new subscriptions to the new dashboard. Present to and interact with senior executives at hospitals. Represent U.S. News at industry events.
- Analysis: Understand the U.S. News Best Hospitals’ methodology and data at a deep level. Provide high-level consultative presentations to hospital executives in both the clinical and business sides.
- Business Solutions: Work with internal executives building this new business. Interpret feedback from clients into product enhancements and communicate to technology teams.
Our ideal candidate
- Has completed a Bachelors degree, has strong quantitative analysis skills
- Has experience with health data or in a health-related field
- Experience working directly with hospitals is a plus
- Has high level skills in Excel
- Preferably has experience working with other analytics platforms
- Has a strong ability to analyze metrics and synthesize conclusions based on what is really important to the audience
- Gets immense satisfaction from finding answers and making fact-based suggestions
- Has strong communication skills and collaboration skills
- Enjoys taking on multiple roles to build a new business
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and 401(k) plans.
Applicants must provide résumé and cover letter. Please send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Senior Analyst” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Intern – Health
The Health Ratings and Rankings team (Best Hospitals, Best Health Plans, Best Doctors and Best Nursing Homes) at U.S. News & World Report seeks a college graduate for a six-month internship in our Washington, D.C. office. The primary duty of this full-time (37.5 hours a week), hourly paid position is to research and write articles about the health insurance market related to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
This is a great opportunity for a motivated individual looking to grow online media experience. The ideal candidate will have lots of energy, be able to juggle myriad responsibilities in a busy environment and be willing to take on other duties as assigned. He or she must also be extremely organized. We are looking for someone who can start immediately.
- Strong research and writing skills and the ability to produce consumer-friendly content
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced, journalistic environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of HTML & Web production; familiarity with content management systems is a plus
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting is a plus
- College degree or equivalent
Applicants must provide three writing clips and two references in addition to a resume and cover letter.
Please send all materials to Angelica Sereda at email@example.com and include "Health Intern" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.